In My Dreams by Cameo Renae
It was happening again. The dreams. The nightmares. It was something seventeen year-old Elizabeth "Lizzy" Hayes thought she'd outgrown; dreams that would come true; detailed premonitions of how people would die. This time she dreams about her boyfriend, Michael Young, and soon discovers that he's been found... dead. Michael hasn't crossed over because he was murdered, and now his murderer is coming for Lizzy. His spirit won't rest until she is safe, and as a newbie spirit, the easiest way for him to make contact is through Lizzy's dreams. When she dreams, it's as if he hasn't died. Lizzy must learn to pull on her inner strength to survive horrifying events. Meanwhile, in the spirit world, Michael learns everything he can about his supernatural gifts to help. But will it be enough to save her?
ebook Published May 16th 2011 by Cameo Renae, via Smashwords (first published April 17th 2011)
Three and a Half Stars: A touching, heart felt romance for the sentimentalists.
Lizzy shudders awake, trembling as the remnants of her nightmare slide away. Blinking she glances at the glaring, red numbers on her digital clock. It is just a few minutes after six. The clock seems to jeer at her as it marks off the seconds. Each tick a jabbing reminder that Michael is over an hour late for their date. He is never tardy and to be delayed on tonight of all nights. He has a special anniversary surprise planned to mark their four years as a couple. Michael and Lizzy have always been destined to be together. They were childhood friends and high school sweethearts. Her eighteenth birthday is just a few days away and they have so many budding plans for their promising future. Where is he? Desperately, Liz punches the speed dial on her cell. Again it clicks to voice mail. She tries to shake the feeling of unease. A sharp, stabbing pain emanates from the back of her neck and a wave of nausea overtakes her. A few minutes later she staggers to the couch and slips into an uneasy slumber. When she opens her eyes, she is gliding down the darkened road in Michael's car, her fingers tightly intertwined in his. At last Michael is finally here. He draws her into the tight, protective circle of his arms and promises that she has his heart forever. Why are his eyes so sad? Then the jarring sound of the phone fractures the dream. Lizzy rouses to her cell buzzing with horrendous news. Michael is dead! Her life forever shattered. Michael's death is just the beginning of the nightmare that haunts her while she is awake. Someone is stalking her. Can Michael somehow from beyond protect the girl he loves?
What I Liked:
- This is such a tender, poignant story. The devotion between Lizzy and Michael will touch your heart. There are so many sad, emotional moments in this story, I found myself blinking back the tears. If you adore sweet, love stories then, In My Dreams will speak to you. In addition it tells the tale of forgiveness, second chances and redemption. I appreciated the positive messages that this novel conveys.
- I enjoyed the additional supernatural elements in the story, the enigmatic Inuit Lucy Crow with her unique ability that allows her to interpret the whisperings she hears from the spirit world. I was intrigued by the appearances of the protective white wolf with the sapphire eyes. I was certainly surprised to learn its origins. I loved the guardian angels and being able to interact with the souls of the deceased through dreams. The grandparents were especially moving for me, as they reminded me of my grandparents that have passed on.
- I liked the descriptive settings. The main story takes place in Alaska during winter. The author does a marvelous job conveying the darkness and biting cold that envelopes the population during the long, dark days. I could totally relate to the brisk, arctic wind and the sting of its chill especially while Lizzy shivered in her car waiting for it to warm. Anyone who endures a long winter will be able to feel it's frosty breath blowing out of the pages. I also enjoyed the fun trips that I took with Lizzy and Michael in her dreams. I soaked in the sun of Hawaii, visited the lake, ice skated and snowmobiled. Ms. Renae does a fabulous job taking the reader along on the journey.
- This book can be purchased for the low price of $1.99 as an ebook on amazon.com (this price reflects the cost at the time of this review 2/12). For less than two dollars you can read this romantic, emotional story of true love. That is a bargain! So click the link (the book cover) and head over to Amazon and get your own copy.
And the Not So Much:
- Ms. Renae spins an intriguing tale, filled with lovely metaphors and intricate descriptions. For the most part the story flows nicely but there are some stumbles over a few grammatical errors and falling into the passive voice, which slows down the pace somewhat. There was a bit of redundancy especially when it comes to tears and crying. These are slight mistakes that do not mar or overtake the plot. I am certain with a little polish and further editing, Ms. Renae will tighten up her writing in her next outing.
- The story line is not particularly fresh or innovative. The concept of a ghost reaching back from the other side is reminiscent of Ghost (one of my favorite movies). Though the idea of the novel is not original, the author does spruce it up with the inclusion of other supernatural entities as well as an Alaskan, shaman, ghost whisperer, Lucy Crow. I was excited when I met Lucy, I just wished that she had a stronger presence in the story.
If you are pining for a touching story of a boy and a girl, who find their love can transcend the boundaries of mortal existence, then In My Dreams, will satisfy your longing. Michael is an angel that you will cling to, as he fights to protect his girl. This book reminds you that love is forever, no matter the circumstance. A sweet story that those with a sentimental heart will thoroughly enjoy. Pick up your copy today while you can at a low price.
"The sky was painted in pale lavender, and all the spruce and pine trees were flocked in white. "
"Sparkling glitters of snow fell from the sky. I closed my eyes and felt the cold flakes melt on my face."
“I’ll never leave you. I’ll always be here,” he said placing his hand over my heart. “Always remember that. Forever in my heart.”
I won a copy of this book from Courtney over at Fuzzy.Coffee.Books.
Tomorrow a guest post by the author, Cameo Renae and a giveaway! See you there!