I’ve seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I’m supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I’m just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me—again.Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychometry magic to find lost objects—and who just may be dating Logan Quinn, the hottest guy in school. But I’m also the girl the Reapers of Chaos want dead in the worst way. The Reapers are the baddest of the bad, the people who murdered my mom. So why do they have it in for me?It turns out my mom hid a powerful artifact called the Helheim Dagger before she died. Now, the Reapers will do anything to get it back. They think I know where the dagger is hidden, but this is one thing I can’t use my magic to find. All I do know is that the Reapers are coming for me—and I’m in for the fight of my life.
Kindle Edition, 336 pages
Expected publication: May 29th 2012 by Kensington Books
Four Stars: More action,danger and a darker tone!
Gwen, Daphne and Carson are touring the museum of history, viewing ancient artifacts in order to complete a school assignment. It is the last day of Christmas break. They are not alone in their procrastination, since the museum is packed with students from The Mythos Academy. Everyone is hurrying to finish at the last minute. In the weapons room, Gwen runs into Logan. The two are excited to see each other and anxious to rekindle their relationship. Before they have a chance to catch up, a scream erupts. Reapers are storming the museum, slashing and killing everyone who stands in their way. Gwen, Logan, Daphne and Carson put up a fight in the weapon's room. Gwen ends up fighting the leader, who is also her mom's murderer. Without warning, the remaining reapers flee, leaving in their wake numerous dead and injured victims. Gwen picks up a paper dropped by the Reaper Girl, her magic flashes and she realizes the reapers are hunting for the dagger that was entrusted to her mother by Nike. If the reapers find this dagger it will unlock the last seal that imprisons Loki. If they manage to free Loki the world will plunge into chaos and war. Gwen must find the dagger to prevent that from happening. Can she find the dagger before the reapers and stop a war?
What I Liked:
- Dark Frost opens with a bang. The first chapter drops you into a chaotic rampage by the reapers. Needless to say, it is heart pounding, jaw dropping introduction. Right away, it is evident that this book has a darker tone. It has plenty of action, terror and edge of your seat scenes. By far the most fast paced book.
- This novel is full of surprises and twists, unlike the last book where I was able to guess the villain right away. This time around, Ms. Estep pulls some punches. Get ready to be surprised, shocked and sad.
- The romance between Gwen and Logan is still the smoldering tension, so close to that spark of ignition. At times it is frustrating but on the other hand I like that it keeps me on my toes and guessing, instead of being insta love or worse a love triangle. All I can say is be patient...wait for it!
- Gwen is still learning how to use her unique brand of magic, psychometry. This time she is experimenting and learning how to wield it in other ways. She is also becoming a better fighter. Her growth over the last three books is remarkable.
- This has been a fun series to read. Quick and enjoyable. For me, these books are a bit reminiscent of Harry Potter. As I remarked earlier, they are not original but they still good. If you are a fan of Harry Potter you might want to try this. It features a teenage girl, trying to find her way in a magical school, while she is hunted by the Reapers who serve Loki the God of Chaos. There is magic, mythology, danger, romance, talking swords, wolves and more.
- This bears repeating, each book has a resolution and avoids the love triangle. You can read the books as stand alones if you want, but of course, they are much better reading in sequence. Still in a YA market flooded with cliffhangers and love triangles, this series is a nice departure.
- I like that at the end of every book, there is a glossary that covers everything in the book in case you have questions.
And The Not So Much:
- I have enjoyed all the books in this series, but I would definitely recommend them for older young adult readers. They have some sexual references, scenes with drinking and violence.
- This book has a darker tone throughout. There is not much light hearted fun in this one. From the first pages you are plunged into fight scenes with the Reapers and there is more throughout. Though it has a more serious feel, the book is riveting and full of action. This is pivotal book, the beginning of the storm yet to come.
- I can't go into details, but I will say this, Ms. Estep throws a big whammy toward the end that broke my heart.
The Mythos Academy has proven to be a tried and true series for me. All three books are exciting and entertaining. I have enjoyed reading all the books. If you are looking for something that is in the same vein as Harry Potter, but for an older audience, pick these up. I am addicted to these books and I can definitely say that I will be reading book four, Crimson Frost when it debuts in 2013. The stakes are higher than ever!
"Logan smiled at me, and it was like the sun had erupted from a sky full of storm clouds. For a moment everything was just---perfect."
"In a way, touching her things was like losing my mom all over again--- a dozen little deaths packed into each and every box."
"That's what best friends are for, right? So we can be cranky together."
"There was a war coming---a war I had no idea how we were going to win."
"Pain is a part of life."
"It is difficult business, trying to save the world. Some people must make sacrifices so that others can live and prosper."
"Somehow, over the past few months, it had become like a second home to me, a place
where I was slowly learning to fit in, a place where I was slowly learning to be strong."
Thank you to Kensington Publishing for providing me a review copy in exchange for an honest review.