- September 5th- Candace's Book Blog- Chapters 1-5, pages 1-44
- September 12th- Buried in Books- Chapters 6-10, pages 45-111
- September 19th- Rainy Day Ramblings- Chapters 11-16, pages 112-194
- September 26th- The Flyleaf Review- Chapters 17-21, pages 195-219
1. At the start of Chapter 6, Nalena follows Garrett in pursuit of the man who attacked her in the woods. She has a semi-out-of-body-experience, running faster than she should be able to, with the ground passing beneath her in “a dirty blur”. Her feeling of fear is what jerks her back into herself and trips her up. What do you think of her new abilities and what limitations might they present?
I am not sure if I was convinced at this point that there was something paranormal going on. If she does indeed posses some type of power she obviously needs to learn to control it as her fear seems to be an issue in inhibiting her abilities.
2. After Nalena loses Garrett in the pursuit, Nalena and her mother end up at Garrett’s house to let his parents know what has happened. We meet the rest of the Reese family, including Garrett’s oldest brother and carbon copy, Sean, and Garrett’s youngest ￼sibling and only sister, Iris. Sean and Iris remain at the house while the rest go to search for Garrett. Why do you think they were the ones left behind? Anything odd in their conversation that could give us clues as to what is going on?
I didn't think anything was odd at the time, I just figured someone needed to stay behind to take care of Iris, since she is so little. I don't recall anything in the conversation that would have clued me in, either.
3. Chapter 7- Um, WHY do you think he didn’t kiss her??? If you were in Nali’s shoes, would you have forced the kiss to happen?
I couldn't begin to guess why he didn't kiss her, perhaps because he still sensed that she didn't fully trust him, yet. If I was in Nali's shoes...hmm don't know....probably not, on the other hand, Garrett is totally swoon worthy....so probably, yes....
4. In Chapter 7, Evangeline drops it like its hot and explains her past, what the Ianua is and why she’s kept Nalena from it all. At this point, if you could have a broader view of the world Nalena is entering into, what would you envision or assume it to be like? Would you be frightened or intrigued?
I have no idea how I would envision this world, part of me would be incredulous, I mean dropping that all on a teenager is a lot to take in...I think I would be both frightened and intrigued. Frightened because my mother chose to hide it from me, but the other part of me would want to know why.
5. Regina and Jen visit Nalena in the school bathroom with a whooping in mind. Does it bother you that they are cheerleaders? What if Jen had been a random, unpopular girl? Would the scene have the same impact for you?
I hate the mean girl theme in YA books. I think it is overdone and it is not something I like to see sensationalized in any way. It doesn't matter if they are cheerleaders or random unpopular girls, a mean girl is still a bully and I detest them.
6. Chapter 10, the Reese boys reveal that Nalena being a Contego means that there is a Cusp coming. If you were to define the Cusp, what do you think it would be? Would it be a singular event or a series of them? Why do you think Evangeline takes it so hard that her daughter is Alo?
I think a Cusp would be someone who is born with tendencies to be two types. For instance, Nali coming from Alo parentage should have the genetic predisposition to be an Alo, but obviously she is a Contego instead. I think the question should be why does Evangeline take it so hard that her daughter is a Contego....I am guessing she doesn't want her to be a Contego because it is much more dangerous than an Alo. I don't think Evangeline wants her daughter to be a part of the society at all.
That's it for this week. These were tough questions this week! Next week I decided to go a little easier and do some fun questions and I made them a bit more personal. Here are the questions:
Cornerstone Questions Chapters 11-16:
1. Were you surprised about the revelations of the unique society that Nali now finds herself a part of? Which of the four signs do you identify the most with: Alo, Contego, Addo or Veritas?
2. The Reese boys have a unique way of answering their phone. Tell me the funniest or most interesting way you have answered your phone or someone else's.
3. Do you think Nalena is going to be able to stick with her initial choice of living a Simple Life or do you feel Garrett or the Addo will persuade her to change her mind?
4. The Addo does not fit the wise man mold with his sweats and cookie crumbs. What was you first impression of him? Would you go to him for advice?
5. What do you think of Nalena's mom's reaction to the revelation that other Addo are dying? Do you think she is in denial?
6. What do you think of Nalena's new guardian angel, Grace? Do you believe in guardian angels? Have you ever had an experience where you felt like someone was looking out for you?
Have fun with them! See you next week!