Hi Everyone! I know you come here on Tuesdays expecting to see TMST. Never fear, TMST follows this post. I couldn't resist saying yes when the lovely Missie@The Unread Reader asked me to be a part of The Divinity Tour. Even though I am supposed to be limiting my intake of books in an attempt to tame the wild and unruly TBR. (Cracking the Indiana Jones Whip....maybe I should just have Harrison Ford stop by and crack that whip)....now what was I saying?!..oh yes tour... but when I saw the striking cover and read demon hunters I was on board! As part of the tour, I had the pleasure to read and review Divinity by Patricia Leever. Make sure to stick around for the giveaway at the end!
Here is my review:
Divinity by Patricia Leever
Demons. They’re everywhere, hiding in plain sight. Chances are, you’ve interacted with one or two of them in your lifetime without even realizing it... Demon hunter Evelyn Brighton saves unsuspecting humans from the malevolent creatures masquerading around them every day. Working under the Lebriga Corporation’s direction, she never fails to bring her A-game with her keen skill, fiercely independent spirit, and the best weapon in her arsenal: the Divinity blade. Evelyn’s world is turned on its ear, however, when she is ordered to train cocky new recruit Daniel Summers. They both feel an instinctive pull drawing them to one another, the ancient spells tattooed into their skin illuminating whenever the two hunters come into contact. But with evil looming over the city of Los Angeles, Evelyn and Daniel’s mutual competitiveness and sense of duty to Lebriga and all humankind forces them to hold back their desires. Will their restraint be enough to keep them focused and save southern California, or will the dark forces prevail? Set in modern-day Los Angeles, Divinity is an action-filled, fast-paced marriage of urban fantasy and paranormal romance. Edgy, witty, and sexy, it will bind you in its spell.
Paperback Expected publication: September 25th 2012 by Omnific Publishing.
Four Stars: A fast, electric thrill ride!
Evie engages the cloaking spell and enters into the predator's lair. She is a seasoned demon hunter bent on taking down a troll who is killing young teenage girls. A quick bloody battle ensues, but Evie with her skill, magical tattoos and incantations along with her superior Divinity sword are victorious. Evie is part of an elite demon hunting team. Her calling is to flush out all the evil creatures in the world that only she and the other hunters and handlers can see. It is a deadly job, but it does have a few perks such as magic tattoos, long life, wicked weapons and lots of action. Evie is content with her lot in life. She is one of the best demon hunters, she has close friends and a fulfilling career. She has never felt the need to open herself to a romance, that is until Daniel a rookie arrives at the compound. Evie endeavors to keep him arm's length even though she is forced to train him. She finds it more difficult everyday to ignore the magnetic attraction. Yet, she does not have time for a romance! Something evil is on the wind. The demons seem to be getting stronger and soon Evie and the others are in for the fight of their lives. Can Evie survive the demons and untangle her feelings for Daniel?
What I Liked:
- This book opens with a terrific action packed scene that sets the stage for a wild ride. I liked the Evelyn is a no nonsense wicked demon huntress! This girl is bad ass with her colorful, charmed ink and her swift and fierce sword. Demons should be running for the hills when she is around. If you are a fan of books with kick butt heroines, Evie will fit the bill.
- This book features an antagonistic romance. Evie on the surface dislikes Daniel, but deep inside she is denying her lustful feelings. What ensues is a sizzling dance between them filled with tension, just waiting to ignite. You spend the entire read anticipating their collision and the fire to erupt. If you enjoy romances where the characters are at odds, this one is for you! This book smolders!
- I loved the transformation that Evie undergoes. She is uptight, closed off emotionally and unwilling to permit herself to love for she is afraid of loss. Admitting she has feelings for Daniel is extremely difficult for her. She doesn't want to be vulnerable. It was entertaining to continually watch her grapple with her emotions and tamp down those lusty thoughts. By the end, she has undergone a metamorphosis and I think she will be even stronger down the road.
- Daniel is awesome. He is ruggedly handsome, calm and ever so patient. He is immediately drawn to the stone cold Evelyn, and he puts up with a whole heck of lot from her. From ass kickings, to frozen looks and outward hostility. Yet, he keeps it all in check and remains ever patient with her. Seriously, this guy has some heart! I also loved how he starts out as a inexperienced rookie, and according to Evelyn's appraisal, he needs a lot of work, but he is a quick learner and smart so by the end he is a force to be reckoned with!
- Alex, the head boss of Evelyn's branch ended up being such a surprise. At first, he comes across as a stringent, suit wearing, no nonsense leader, but let me just say this guy has a few wicked tricks up his sleeve!
- I liked that this book was a fast, fun read with a fiery romance and lots of action. It moves quickly and it keeps the reader engaged. Best of all, no love triangles or cliffhangers! I am totally on board with a new series introduction that keeps me entertained and refrains from the jagged ending!
- I love the cover of this one! It just screams read me!
And The Not So Much:
- I was fascinated by the colorful, magical tattoos that all the demon hunters and handlers wore. I just wish there was a touch more detail on them, such as more descriptions, how the warrior got their tattoos: were they picked for them or did they select them? I would love just a bit more of this type of in depth detail.
- I wanted a bit more information on the demon hunters and how they were organized. There were several branches throughout the world all led by the head honcho Gabriel. I was wondering how many there were and if they all worked together or functioned separately. I would love to know a bit more about Gabriel as well.
- I never felt like I had a full grasp on what makes a demon hunter or a handler. These individuals are born seeing demons, and they have longevity, but I wanted to know more about their long lives and all the unique abilities they have, especially among the handlers, their roles aren't as clearly defined.
Divinity is a terrific, fast fun book that delivers everything you crave in a UF read. It has a kick butt, feisty heroine, loyal friends, hot guys, lots of action and plenty of wicked demons who need their butts thrust back into the pits of Hell. If you like your books full of action and enjoy romances with seething tension you should definitely give this a whirl! I really enjoyed it and I can't wait to see where the series goes from here!
"A one-night mistake a few years ago that never seems to stop coming back to bite me on the ass."
"I looked down the hall and saw all six feet, three inches of dark haired, green-eyed hunk of yum wrapped in a tight gray T-shirt, heading my way."
"As much as I hated to admit it, I wouldn't have complained one bit if Daniel had decided never to wear a shirt again."
"But, really, what was not to like? She was beautiful. Okay, so there was that one little matter of her being a soul-sucking she-shark who hated everything about me, but who didn't like a challenge?"
“The two of us were like oil and water, and we were going to either kill each other or screw each other stupid. If I had anything to say about it, it would be the latter.”
“What are you so afraid of””
“Clowns, puppets, that plastic-headed Burger King guy....”
“Giving up just wasn’t in my nature. I hadn’t let the demons masquerading as doctors, nurses, and orderlies at Agnews break me a hundred years ago, and back then I hadn’t even had dick to live for.”
Here is some information about Patricia Leever:
Patricia Leever is a wife, stay-at-home mom of four and owner of one dog and one little black cat. On the average school day she runs about town like a lunatic picking-up and dropping off kids and trying to find a moment of quiet to write down a word or two. She’s a sci-fi geek that loves to dress up like a zombie and participate in the local zombie march down Main St. and laugh as much as possible; laughter frees the mind and heals the soul.
Please be sure to visit Patricia on her website, facebook, twitter, Omnific Publishing and Goodreads. Her book, Divinity, will be available on September 25th. The purchase links for it will be availaible that day for Amazon as well as Omnific Publishing. You can preorder it now at Barnes and Noble.
Here is the trailer:
Be sure to check out the other stops on the tour (click on the banner), each and every blog has a giveaway. For my giveaway today I get to give away to one lucky entrant a paperback copy of this book (lucky winner indeed!) Just fill out the Rafflecopter to enter. Please see Contest Policies for details. Unfortunately this is for U.S. residents only, but for all your international residents, Missie is offering an ebook on her blog and Maja over at The Nocturnal Library has an international giveaway tomorrow! Thanks for stopping by and have a fantastic day!a Rafflecopter giveaway