Something Wicked Comes hits the halfway mark today! I hope you have enjoyed all the wonderful guest posts and giveaways so far. There have been some good ones! Fear not if you missed some there are plenty more great giveaways from now until Halloween. Here are today's stops:
Maria@A Night's Dream of Books: Stroke of Midnight Anthology: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Be sure to visit all of these bloggers and enter their giveaways.
Today, I am bringing you something witchy. What is Halloween without witches? I have the fabulous Cambria Hebert here today. For those of you who are new to Rainy Day Ramblings, Cambria is a good friend and someone who has been with my blog since the very beginning. I participate in her meme weekly called Tell Me Something Tuesday which will be back in November. Aside from all of that, she is a talented author. She is behind the wonderful Heven and Hell Series. For those of you unfamiliar with the series, you need to check these books out! They are something different and unexpected and full of big surprises. Book three, Tirade, will be releasing November 30th and I know it will be another roller coaster ride! Watch for it! (Click on the covers for details).
Cambria Hebert is the author of the young adult paranormal Heven and Hell series. She loves a caramel latte, hates math and is afraid of chickens (yes, chickens). In addition to her many writing credits she is also the co-host for JournalJabber, a blog talk radio show that focuses on writing and books. She currently lives in Pennsylvania where she is plotting her next book. You can find out more about Cambria and her work by visiting her blog, Facebook, twitter and Goodreads.
And now here is Cambria with her scary list:
Things That Scare Me by Cambria Hebert
You know there are a lot of things in life that scare me – I can be highly anxious! But there are some things that make me run away screaming more than others. And since this is Something Wicked I am going to tell you what those things are….
The things listed below are SCARY!!
Here is my list of the things that make me shiver in fear:
#1 (if you don’t know this by now then you must not know me at all, lol)
Chickens (and frankly all birds)-
If you are wondering why chickens scare me its for these reasons:
. They will claw or peck your eyes out for a kernel of corn
. It doesn’t seem right that such fat bodies balance on spindly legs
. They have beady, mean eyes
. They smell. They poop on stuff. They’re mean.
Just look at these examples:
And if those reasons weren’t enough LOOK what they do to INNOCENT, CUTE PUPPIES!
#2 Creepy “kidnapper” vans
You know exactly what I am talking about so don’t pretend that you don’t. You know those vans that roll around town all rusty and dark windows with doors that open in the back? It practically screams “I WILL pull over and take you!”
#3 The toilet
Okay, so I’m not really scared of the actual toilet just the things that can hide in there…. I mean, really… who’s to say what is waiting… I ALWAYS look before I sit and in the middle of the night I turn on the light to look inside of it before I sit. Don’t believe that things can hide in there? Just look:
#5 Darkened windows at night. You never know who might be watching you…
And those are the things that scare me most!
I hope I haven’t scared you away because I have an announcement to make!!!!!!
This November, (that’s just 15 days away!) there is going to be a Charade Read Along! Charade is the second book in the Heven and Hell series and we had such a good time with the Masquerade Read Along we decided to do it again!
So what does the Read Along Involve (AKA how much work is it?)? All you have to do is read Charade (if you’ve already read it then you are ahead of the game!) and every Monday post some questions and answers about a set of chapters from the book! (It will only be about 5 questions per week and they will be fun).
As I said it’s every Monday in November. The awesome gals who are hosting are:
November 5th: Jennifer@Some Like it Paranormal
November 12th: Christy@Love of Books
November 19th: Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings (here!)
November 26th: Veronica@Mostly Reviews
November 30th: Cambria@CambriaHebert: Wrap up, Prize announcements and Special announcement for the release of Book 3: Tirade.
There will be prizes!!! If you post every single week then you will be eligible for one of two prize packs. And every 10th blogger to sign up will get a free ecopy of Charade.
The prizes are:
Prize packs up for grabs
One signed paperback copy of Tirade (Heven and Hell #3)
One set of character magnets (featuring Sam, Heven, Kimber, Cole, Gemma, Riley)
Signed Swag (Bookmarks and a notecard)
One Heven and Hell T-shirt
Runner up Prize Pack:
One signed Paperback of Tirade
Signed Swag (bookmarks and a notecard)
Here are the first week's questions hosted by Jennifer@Some Like it Paranormal:
1. Charade begins with Heven cutting off a lot of the hair she used to hide behind. Her haircut turns out really good. Have you ever had a bad haircut? A bad dye job? Tell us about it.
2. What do you think about Heven and Cole’s relationship?
3. A new character is introduced in these chapters. Gemma. What are your thoughts on her? Any predictions?
4. There are a lot of demons running around in Charade. What do you think would be the best weapon to fight them?
5. Sam is very close with his brother and feels responsible for him. Do you have any siblings? What is your relationship with them like?
Post the answers on your blog November 5th and link up at Some Like it Paranormal.
Thank you Cambria for another interesting list on scary things and for all the info on the upcoming read along. Do you think that red haired person qualifies as a clown? I am really beginning to think I need to take a poll on how many of you are scared of clowns. Why is everyone so scared of clowns? Okay, now what you all have been waiting for, the loot! Since this is all about Spooking For Books.....the wonderful and lovely Cambria has brought an awesome prize pack for you all. You want to know what she is offering to one lucky winner?
One bewitched pen
One bewitched note pad
One Bewitched flyer and bookmark signed
One ebook copy of Bewitched
And the best part is she is making it International! So all you lovelies better show her some love! Thank you so much to Cambria for her post and generous prize package. See the Contest Policies if you are interested in all the boring specifics and then fill out the Rafflecopter. Good Luck! a Rafflecopter giveaway Here is my review:
Bewitched (Heven and Hell #2.5) by Cambria Hebert
For years, I accepted that Heven was more popular than me. I never liked it but I lived with it. I walked in her shadow, I stood by her when no one else would. When I finally thought her spotlight was mine things began to change. She began to change. Now she hardly ever calls me back, she spends all her time with her hot new boyfriend and everyone at school thinks she’s back on top. She had it all. But apparently she wants more. She wants Cole – my boyfriend. What’s worse is that it looks like she got him. I’ve had enough and she’s going to be sorry. Why? Because I am bewitched. ebook Published October 5th 2012 by Cambria Hebert
Four stars: An engaging look at Heven and Hell's most memorable character.
Kimber has it all: money, popularity, handsome boyfriend, good looks, designer clothes and an impeccable taste in fashion. Yet, for some reason other people didn't get the memo and she is not at the top of the heap. Soon her world comes crashing down when she discovers Cole, her boyfriend, with Heven. No one cheats on her and gets away with it, especially if it is her best friend. Seething with anger, Kimber encounters a beautiful woman in a cloak who promises Kimber her heart's desire if she helps her with one small favor. At first, the headstrong Kimber declines. She isn't stupid after all, but then she wavers. Soon she is striking a deal with the devil and she finds that getting what she wants this time comes at steep price. Can Kimber redeem herself, or is it too late?
What I Liked:
- Kimber has always been one of my favorite characters in the Heven and Hell series. Sure, she is spoiled rotten, prone to jealousy and not exactly a good best friend, but there is just something about her that draws you in. She has sass, spunk, and she is downright funny. I thoroughly loved getting an entire novella told through Kimber's eyes. Kimber isn't the most likeable character, but she is snarky and some of the things that come out of her mouth made me laugh. She is a great contrast to Heven, who tends to be the good girl. I only hope that things turn around for her. I would even love to have an entire book told from perspective just because she is funny.
- I enjoyed that this filled in the blanks for many of the events in Charade. In this novella, we learn how Kimber is swayed and why she ends up acting the way she did and how her poor decision landed her in trouble. I admit, I actually felt sorry for her after reading her story. She might appear to have it all, but in reality she is an insecure and lonely girl. One whose parents tend to throw money toward and ignore instead of spending time with her.
- I enjoyed Cambria's writing and especially liked seeing this all new side of her in this novella. She never ceases to amaze me.
And the Not So Much:
- This is definitely a novella that you must read after you read Charade (Heven and Hell Book #2). If you pick this one up without knowing the back story you will be lost. I admit, it has been a few months and my memory was a bit fuzzy regarding the events in Charade so even I was a bit confused. You can easily avoid this by reading the whole series.
- I always feel this way about novellas, I like that they are a quick read, one you can do in a sitting, but I always hate that they are so short. Indeed this was the case. I was really getting into Kimber's story and laughing at her one liners and then it was over. I personally want more of Kimber.
Bewitched is a fun little novella perfect for the Halloween season. It has witches, demons and even a boney dude! I loved seeing things through Kimber's eyes. She is full of fire. This is another great addition to the Heven and Hell Series.
“But Hell-ooo everyone knows that redheads are better than blondes.
Unfortunately, no one seemed to get that memo, either.”
“Finding out what was going on with Heven and Cole was a definite must, but getting hacked into little pieces by some stalker wouldn’t accomplish that. And it would mess up my hair.”
“Being brave when I only thought there was a stalker had been easy, but now that I was faced with one (one who looked supciously like the Grim Reaper) made me want to pee my pants. but I wouldn’t because these pants were too nice to ruin like that.”
“It was time for a little payback. And as far as I knew, payback couldn’t be bought at Walmart (wouldn’t that be convenient.”
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. I was not compensated for this review and all opinions expressed are my own.”
That's it for today! See you back tomorrow with another great post and giveaway! Click on the Wicked button to see all the current giveaways!