Today is Day Six of Fiery Hot Reads for Icy Cold Nights! I hope you enjoyed all the posts and giveaways this week. A big thank you to all the lovely bloggers who helped me make this such a great kick off week! Now be sure to visit these stops today:
Jasprit and Rachel@The Reader's Den: Colleen Hoover: Hopeless
Veronica@Mostly Reviews: Shelly Crane: Significance
I have one more post for you all today, and I saved the best for last.....Today, I am featuring Boundless (Unearthly) The sweet and satisfying conclusion to the Unearthly Series. Unfortunately, for whatever reason my interview with Ms. Hand fell through....sigh.... No matter! I have my review for you all and a giveaway!
Boundless (Unearthly) (Unearthly #3) by Cynthia Hand
The past few years have held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner could ever have anticipated. Yet from the dizzying highs of first love, to the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, the one thing she can no longer deny is that she was never meant to live a normal life.
Since discovering the special role she plays among the other angel-bloods, Clara has been determined to protect Tucker Avery from the evil that follows her . . . even if it means breaking both their hearts. Leaving town seems like the best option, so she’s headed back to California - and so is Christian Prescott, the irresistible boy from the vision that started her on this journey in the first place.
As Clara makes her way in a world that is frighteningly new, she discovers that the fallen angel who attacked her is watching her every move. And he’s not the only one. . . . With the battle against the Black Wings looming, Clara knows she must finally fulfill her destiny. But it won’t come without sacrifices and betrayal.
In the riveting finale of the Unearthly series, Clara must decide her fate once and for all.
Hardcover, 438 pages
Published January 22nd 2013 by HarperTeen
Five Stars! A fantastic ending to a spectacular series!
Clara is packing up her room, heading to Stanford. It is hard to say goodbye to her home and friends, including Tucker, but since her painful loss, Clara doesn't feel like she belongs here anymore. At least she won't be alone as Angela and Christian are attending Stanford as well. Clara settles into life on campus, but she soon learns she can't hide from the Black Wings, they are always near. She is receiving a terrifying vision as well and she is frightened for her future. Can Clara ever find a way to live a normal life and love without always fretting about the constant danger?
What I Liked:
The Unearthly Series unexpectedly became one of my favorite YA series. I think because I truly cared for the characters. Ms. Hand knows how to write genuine characters who seem like close friends, and of course, it is always hard to bid farewell to those beloved characters. It was with a bit of trepidation that I picked this up, wondering if I would be happy with Clara's choice and if I would get closure. I can honestly say I was not disappointed. This book lived up to my expectations and it was indeed a satisfactory ending to a fabulous series. I smiled, I cried, and I closed the book happy.
- One of the things that stood out for me with this series is the growth of Clara and Ms. Hand's writing. I could see a marked difference form the first book to the finale. Clara grows up from a young, somewhat naive girl to a smart, capable and mature adult. She has seen her fair share of sorrow and hit a few bumps along the way. I liked the new mature Clara and enjoyed watching her find her way once again. It isn't easy for her that is for sure. I especially liked how she tried to settle the love triangle. Clara tried and tried to think things through with her head, but all along she wasn't listening to heart. When she finally does accept what her heart is telling her, she knows what her choice must be.
- This is one series that I can honestly say I enjoyed the love triangle. I know many of you are shocked as I am always complaining about them, but this time around I liked it because I not only deeply cared about all three of the characters, but I liked that the relationships were built upon friendships. I know we were all holding our breathes waiting to see who Clara would finally choose, and I certainly did not envy her position. I knew that no matter who she picked it would be right. Both Tucker and Christian are amazing and swoon worthy boys. Tucker captured all our hearts in Unearthly with his antagonistic behavior, charming manners and sweetness. I loved how the romance between Clara and Tucker unfolded in book one. Just when we all thought that Clara and Tucker were meant to be forever, Christian makes a strong case in Hallowed: An Unearthly Novel and despite my misgivings, I let him weasel his way into my heart. He is so considerate and caring and I couldn't help but love him, plus he shares Clara's burden. Now Clara is at the crossroads....will she leave Tucker behind so he can pursue a normal human life and be safe, that is if she can convince her heart to let him go....Will Christian who is her dear friend and confidant be her future? I will let you read and find out for yourself.....Trust me it is worth the read! I will tell you, I was in a constant state of agony as Clara wavered one way and then the other.
- Overall, this is a series I highly recommend. It has angels, danger, loss, friendship, love and characters that you will fall in love with. I wish I could go back and read it all again for the first time because these books made me feel, I laughed and cried and loved them! If you have not read The Unearthly Series don't wait any longer. Do it!
And The Not So Much:
- While I loved how the book ended, I was a bit perplexed that I didn't get more closure. I desperately wanted to know what happened to the one Clara didn't choose. Was he okay? Will he be happy? I wanted more about Jeffrey as well. What happened to him? Did he find his way? Is he okay with his angel identity? Are he and Clara close again as they should be? Yes, Clara's story might be complete for now, but I couldn't help but wonder if we might see a spinoff series down the line as Ms. Hand certainly lays down some possibilities. Fingers crossed....I would very much like to revisit my friends again.
- I fiercely liked all the characters in this series except for Angela. No matter how hard I tried. I just could not like her. I always felt like she was hiding something and that she was just not a good happy person. I hoped and hoped for something to happen that would make me change my mind....but I still am not a fan of Angela.
- I wished that the angels like Clara's father were not always so cryptic. I kept wondering why they weren't more forthcoming and at the end there were still a bunch of mysteries.
- This book has a darker tone that its predecessors. I missed the romance. There isn’t much development with the romance until the end, and I was eager for the sweet, touching romantic scenes that made me fall in love with this series to begin with, but at least I was satisfied with the ending.
"The professor says that happiness is wanting what you have."
"I should have fought for you, Clara, even if I would have had to fight you to fight for you. I should never have let you go."
"A million memories. Countless smiles and laughs and kisses, the way she tole me she loved me all the time, every night before she tucked me into bed."
"We think of happiness as something we can take. But usually it comes from being content with what we have, and accepting ourselves."
"My home is you."
I purchased a copy of this book for review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this review.
Now that I have your attention! I want to make sure you all have the chance to check out this series. So I am going to host a giveaway and up for grabs is your choice of book from The Unearthly Series This giveaway is open Internationally as long as The Book Depository or Amazonships to you. Please fill out the Rafflecopter to enter after reading Contest Policies. Good Luck!a Rafflecopter giveaway
This concludes my hostess week for Fire and Ice. I am pleased to turn the tour over to my dear friend Cambria Hebert. She has a fun week planned for you all. Be sure to check out her upcoming release Recalled.
I will continue to have exciting posts throughout the month for Fire and Ice and I have lots more giveaways planned. Be sure to stay update by checking the stops each and everyday. I will continue to highlight all the stops for the duration of the tour. So stay tuned. If you missed a giveaway and post this week, click on the button to catch up! See you on Monday with Juliet Immortal and Romeo Redeemed by Stacey Jay.