I am thrilled to be able to part of The JAMB Tour. Last year, I was introduced to indie
author Misty Provencher when I read Cornerstone. I was blown away by this little indie gem and since then I have had the pleasure of reading three other books by Ms. Provencher. She is definitely an indie author whom you need to read. I love her work because it is different and unexpected and always fantastic. As part of the JAMB Tour I am reviewing the third book in The Cornerstone Series. This such a great series, and it is saying a lot that I am on book three because these days I am having a hard time keeping up with series. Before I get to the review, let me introduce you to Misty:
Misty Provencher writes everything that her brain can get its matter on. In late 2011, she released her debut, Young Adult novel, Cornerstone, and, in 2012, followed it with the sequel, Keystone. Also in 2012, Provencher released her Adult novel, Hale Maree, and a New Adult novel, Mercy, A Gargoyle Story. Writing across categories and genres, Provencher intends to provide readers with as much excitement, intrigue, and escape as they can handle. You can find Misty on her blog, FB, Twitter and Goodreads.
Be sure to enter the giveaways at the end of the post. There is something for everyone!
Here is my review:
JAMB(Cornerstone #3) by Misty Provencher
A second ago, Nalena opened her eyes. And she was safe in Garrett’s arms. Then it all comes rushing back—the riots, The Fury, the Cusp. The Ianua community is in a major jam. Forced into survival mode, the Ianua are holed up in the fortress of the Hotel Celare. Each Cura’s top-ranking members have gathered to guard the last remaining Addo, as the entire community also scrambles to trust one another and organize a new game plan to overthrow The Fury. The trick is to keep the human race alive. But The Fury’s game has changed. They have a Mastermind at the helm and he is out to destroy the Ianua. Terrifying and brilliant, this mysterious Mastermind has organized and focused The Fury like never before. He has recruited the Simple and unleashed the Cusp’s wide-spread chaos all around the world. And behind the scenes of this big picture, Nalena and everyone around her are busy trying to keep up, while also absorbing the rapid-fire aftershocks of their changing lives. There are traitors everywhere. While The Cusp is expected to bring twists and turns, Nalena and Garrett never expected it to throw a silverware-drawer full of forks into the road. Each path tests their loyalty and their faith and makes them question who is who. Including themselves. And each other. And in the end, some things, you can never see coming.
Published March 11, 2013
Paperback: 242 pages Publisher:
CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Four solid stars: An amazing series mind blowing series that you must experience for yourself!
Nali opens her eyes to find Garret's arms tightly wrapped around her. She is safe. Then the horrific truth comes crashing back and she remembers that she murdered someone to protect the Addo. The tunnels collapsed with Garrett's two younger brothers in them, and now they are missing, feared dead. The Fury are organizing and they are coming at the Ianua like never before. The world is in chaos as it has entered the Cusp. Either the Ianua will restore order and defeat The Fury, or chaos and destruction will rein and decimate the world. Nali and the rest of the Contego are in a fight for their lives as they prepare to face the oncoming threat. Can Nali and Garrett help find a way to defeat The Fury and save humanity?
What I Liked:
- Once again, I was completely blown away by Ms. Provencher's mad story telling skills. Her books are never dull and they are always full of big twists and surprises that never cease to amaze me. Just when I think I have it figured out, she throws in a whole bunch of wrenches and stuns me once again. If you like books that are full of huge unexpected developments this is a series you need to read!
- I am absolutely in awe of Ms. Provencher's creativity. These books may be labeled as YA, but trust me, the story telling is superb and the plot is incredibly complex and detailed and there are some interesting thought provoking ideas and concepts that are far beyond anything I have read before. I wish I could better convey this to you, but I am unable to find the right words. You just need to experience for yourself.
- I am a big fan of the romance in this one as it is so realistic. I like that at every step, Nali is analyzing her feelings. Sure, she is absolutely head over heels in love with Garrett, but how can she be sure that their relationship is the real deal? I love that she has her insecurities and doubts as it makes it feel so genuine. I especially enjoyed the scene where Garrett and Nali spar with each other to determine their compatibility. Before they can be married they will have to fight in front of the Addo. If one of them is able to get three hits on the other, they are not meant to be together. Though terrified, the two fight each other and that scene is incredible. I won't share the details, it is something you must read for yourself. It is an amazing scene to say the least. The other idea that I really found fascinating in this one is the whole idea of binding. Binding is marriage between Ianua, but before the ceremony can take place, the couple must spend a period of time where they wear a zipline bracelet set. Basically, they are not allowed to be more than a few feet apart during this period. They must do everything together, and if they can't hack this constant togetherness, they aren't supposed to be together. Can you imagine? If more people had to undergo this the divorce rate would be significantly lower.
- Addo Larry is absolutely the shining star of this series for me. He is a wise guru man who spends a great deal of time munching cookies. I love that he is so unassuming. He has horrible taste in fashion: sweats and sandals with socks. He comes across as a carefree guy, but in reality, he is brilliant. His advice is always interesting and spot on. Addo Larry just makes me smile, and I would love to eat cookies with him anytime. Despite the fact that the end of the world is upon them, he takes it all in stride and refuses to let it ruffle his feathers. Just bring on the cookies and all will be well! If only we could all adopt his attitude.
- I was absolutely riveted to the final third of this book, once Nali and Garrett end up visiting The Fury. It was frightening and exciting to finally get a peek into the world of The Fury. The action ratchets up and you get this heart pounding climax and then a jaw dropping twist at the end that left me absolutely hungry for the next book! I cannot wait to see how it all plays out. I know it will be another exciting, twisty adventure!
And The Not So Much:
- I struggled just a tiny bit with the pacing of this one. The middle section drags a bit after an interesting opening, and of course a couple of twists. Then the book falters as there is a great deal of time spent in the hotel compound where there is a lot of sitting around and talking and not much happening. I was a bit frustrated at this point, because there are so many characters coming and going, and I honestly had a hard time keeping track of everyone. Aside from the sparring scene between Nali and Garrett, there just isn't much going on. Thankfully, there is an attack and then the story really moves. It is jam packed and thrilling to the end so just be patient.
- This series has a entire unique society and they have all kinds of foreign concepts. I admit that I had a hard time keeping track of everything. There is so much information and so many unfamiliar words and ideas that at times I was confused. I seriously felt like I needed a glossary to everything straight. This isn't a big deal, but just be informed that this is a complex read and there is a lot of information to sort through and process. I am still a bit confused over the Moxes and Protegos and all that.
- This book ends abruptly, not really a cliffhanger, but there is so many unanswered questions that I was just left itching to know more! I can hardly stand the wait.
JAMB was another exciting and intriguing read. This series is absolutely addictive and I cannot wait for more. It is unlike anything I have read before and if you are seriously needing something that is different, I think you should check out these books. I am absolutely amazed at Ms. Provencher's talent. For all of you indie book lovers out there, this is an indie series that you must get your hands on! Don't miss it!
"I understand that everybody wants to follow a leader who will always know better than they do and who will never make a mistake with everyone's future."
"And right now, it feels like could be in the driver's seat of a truck loaded with rabbit's feet and crickets and wishbones,m and still plow into a wall."
"I just want a clear idea---the dang cliff notes for my life. I want all the highlights and the detailed ending, so I know how it all turns out. I can make it through all of this, if I just know it'll end up okay."
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for my review.
Misty has put together some fabulous giveaways for her tour. You can enter them here. Head to Misty's blog for full details on the giveaways. Please note the giveaways are not hosted by Rainy Day Ramblings. Good Luck! For all of you eager to try this series, What are you waiting for? You can download book one, Cornerstone, for free.a Rafflecopter giveaway a Rafflecopter giveaway