We have only one more day of Something Wicked Returns... it has been a spectacular month of guest posts and giveaways! There is still plenty of time to enter the giveaways, but some will end soon such as the Something Wicked Returns Blog Hop. You only have today and tomorrow to get your entries in to win!
What treats are waiting for you today? Come and see......
Maja@The Nocturnal Library: Eliza Crewe: Cracked
Here on Rainy Day Ramblings, we are taking a bit of a break from the scarefest. I have Cambria Hebert back today because she is just awesome and she is a writing machine these days. Her New Adult Series Take It Off is going crazy and she has already released three books in this series and books four and five will be out before the end of the year......
Wow! Some sexy covers up there..... Now you may be wondering why I decided to feature Tease today, since I am supposed to be highlighting all things scary and paranormal. The answer is because Tease explores a couple of fears......First as a mother, the last thing I would want would be for my daughter to end up as a stripper or an exotic dancer. I am not saying this because I think women in this industry are nasty, dirty sluts, in fact, most are girls in a bad position trying hard to pay their bills. I say this because I would hate for my daughter to be in a vulnerable position, and I would never want anyone to exploit her. I also cannot imagine the terror of having to get up in front of a room full of leering strangers and strip! In Tease, Cambria brings us the good girl next door who is desperately trying to make ends meet. She is certainly not cut out to be a stripper, but she does what she feels is necessary. It is a funny, eye opening journey... oh and there happens to be a hot guy who will make your heart pitter patter......just when things are on the up and up, there is a dark turn and it seems that not everyone at the club is there to look and have a good time... someone is out to hurt Harlow.... Are you interested? Before I go further, I want to reintroduce you all to Cambria. I know all you regular readers are familiar with her as she is always popping up, but for all you new followers:
Cambria Hebert is the author of the young adult paranormal Heven and Hell series, The Death Escort Series and the New Adult Take It Off Series. She loves a caramel latte, hates math and is afraid of chickens (yes, chickens). She went ot college for a bachelor's degree, couldn't pick a major and ended up with a degree in cosmetology. So rest assured, her characters will always have good hair. She currently lives in North Carolina with her husband and children (both human and fury), where she is plotting her next book. You can find out more about Cambria and her work by visiting: her blog, Facebook, twitter, Goodreads, Pinterest and Youtube.
Cambria already shared her list of fears earlier in the month, you can see it here. Today, she is tying in a bit with yesterday's theme and sharing a delicious, pumpkin fall recipe. I think it would be perfect for Thanksgiving morning or anytime during Fall. Here is Cambria to tell you more:
by Cambria Hebert
I love Halloween. It’s one of my most favorite holidays! Fall is my all time favorite season of the year. The pumpkins, the leaves, the colors, the chill in the air… and the baking!! Every fall I tend to go a little baking crazy making pumpkin everything. I also love the flavors of cinnamon and apple. Today, I brought along one of my favorite new recipes for fall. You could always make this up for Halloween morning and give your little trick or treaters a burst of energy to carry around that candy haul!
Pumpkin French Toast Bake
2 loafs of French bread (I only used 1.5 of the loaves)
1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar (plus extra for sprinkling on top before baking)
1 Tablespoon of Cinnamon
1/2 Tablespoon of Ginger
1/2 Tablespoon of All spice
2 cups milk (I used almond milk. any milk will do)
1/2 cup Pumpkin puree
Whisk together pumpkin, eggs, brown sugar, spices, milk in a bowl. set aside.
Cut or tear bread into small chunks and place in a 13×9 baking dish. I used about 1.5 of the french loaves I had. (basically I just filled the baking dish up almost to the top).
Pour the pumpkin/egg mixture over the bread cubes. Make sure all the bread gets some of the liquid (I just pressed it down with my fingers lightly).
Cover and place in fridge overnight.
In the morning preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle brown sugar over the top of the bread and place a few dots of butter over top. Place in oven and bake for about 40 minutes.
We served ours with a drizzle of syrup over top.
Very rich but very tasty. A great holiday treat.
Do you think this looks like a tasty fall treat?!
Yes, most definitely! This looks like a recipe I want to try...I will be pinning this post to my Pinterest board, and I suggest all your Pinterest users do the same! It looks like the perfect breakfast for a crisp Fall morning. Now, along with that tasty, tempting treat, Cambria is bringing another... it is a chance to win all three of of the books currently out in her Take It Off Series. That would be ebooks of Torch, Tease and Tempt.
How is that for a treat? If you are a bit burned out on the New Adult genre, don't worry, Cambria's books are not the typcial emotional dramatic reads with broken damaged people. They are quick, fun, a bit on the lighter side and they have a bit of suspense. Not to mention the right amount of sizzle! They are perfect for when you need a fast, fun read. To enter the giveaway please read the Contest Policies and fill out the Rafflecopter. Watch for Cambria's return in November! Good Luck!
Here is my review:
Tease(Take It Off #2) by Cambria Hebert
You can look, but you can't touch...
Harlow is a broke college student. When her tuition assistance is taken away, she is faced with a choice: admit to her mother she couldn't hack it on her own or make a lot of money fast.
So she gets a good-paying job.
As a stripper.
She thought it would be easy, but it turn out being sexy is a lot harder than she thought.
When a few mishaps work in her favor, she manages to hang on to her job and catch the eye of the Mad Hatter's best-looking bartender, Cam.
She's also caught the eye of someone who wants to do more than look, someone who's decided she's nothing but a tease.
As the clothes come off, Harlow finds herself caught between lust and murder, The only thing she knows for sure is that her new risqué job is a lot more than she bargained for.
Kindle Edition, 277 pages
Published September 6th 2013
Source: Author in exchange for an honest review
Four Stars: A fun, sexy, suspenseful read with the world's clumsiest stripper!
Harlow glares at the bills piled on her desk. If she doesn't figure out a way to come up with some cash quick she will be forced to go back home with her tail between her legs. She has an option, a daring one. Harlowe is considering applying for a job as a stripper at the Mad Hatter Club, even though she doesn't know the first thing about stripping, and the thought of taking all of her clothes off in front of a bunch of drooling men literally makes her sick to her stomach. Yet a girl has to eat. Harlow finds herself standing at the door of the club, tentatively she goes in and before she knows it, Harlowe is the newest stripper at the club. Can Harlowe take it all off?
What I Liked:
- Cambria Hebert over the last two years has shown that she is capable of writing a range of characters from the paranormal hell hound to the sweet girl next door who is struggling to pay her bills. It doesn't matter what she is writing or who she is writing, Cambria knows how to write characters that feel like friends. Harlowe is no exception. At twenty one, she is trying to finish college and do it on her own. She has no desire to return to her small home town where everyone knows everyone and everything. When her financial aid gets cut and her roommate moves out, Harlow finds herself in a frightening position. She resorts to stripping to pay the bills. However, the fresh faced, naive Harlowe isn't exactly cut out to be a stripper. She is modest, clumsy and unable to bare it all. I loved her witty dialogue and enjoyed watching her struggle as the worst stripper. One of most endearing traits is her clumsiness. It is hard not to giggle when she is attempting to be sexy and she trips and falls on her own shoes! Harlow made me laugh! Cam, the love interest, will certainly win over a few hearts. He is incredibly handsome and sexy as well as nice and considerate. I would go for a ride on his motorcycle anytime! I think you will enjoy meeting both Harlowe and Cam.
- Let's talk about stripping.... I know nothing about the strip club industry, and I have not ever been to one. I liked that Cambria gave me a crash course education on strip clubs, and that she portrays the girls not as sleazy, sex objects, but as girls who are down on their luck and in desperate need of some cash. In reality, I am sure that many girls are just like Harlow, struggling and terrified. I think you will gain a new appreciation for strippers after reading this. I am not saying that you will want to run out and be one, but I think you will come away with a new perspective. Don't worry that this is a book about strippers, it is tasteful and it doesn't once go into the dark and dirty aspects. Overall, it stays on the light side. Though, there are a few compromising and scary predicaments. What I loved about it was that Harlow keeps it funny with her snarky commentary and hesitation to take it off.
- I liked that this book has a bit of suspense and a couple of surprises. It turns out that someone is after Harlowe and that person has some dark intentions. The book quickly takes you on a scary trip. I liked that this book had a fun little mystery.
- This is a New Adult book you can pick up without worrying about whether or not you will get your heart stomped on. This is a series that steers away from the damaged, broken people and the plot is without a lot of heartache and drama. Instead the book is fueled by great characters, some sizzle and suspense. These books are perfect for those of you who are looking for a New Adult title that is quick, fun and different. I love that you can pick up one of Ms. Hebert's books and cruise through it in a couple of hours. You will have fun with the humor and the sexy romance.
- The romance..... I think you will enjoy this little romance. It moves fast and furious with plenty of heat. If you like passion you will enjoy the smexy time, but it doesn't go too far over the top. You won't have to put the book down in embarrassment since it refrains from going into too much sizzle. Keep in mind, though, that this is a New Adult title and that there are some heated scenes not meant for the younger reader.
And The Not So Much:
- I would have liked to know a bit more about Harlow's background. Was she not close to her parents? Why was she too afraid to reach out to them for help? Was it because she feared they would make her come home or that they wouldn't give her a bit of cash to help her through the tight spot?
- I found that I really enjoyed Adam and Roxy. Adam especially surprised me. He is the owner of the strip club with a big heart. He seems to really have the girls' best interests at heart. He might be a bit of a player himself, and he definitely has had a rocky romantic history, but I ended up liking him. I felt sorry for Roxy, and I would like to know more about what led her to becoming a stripper. Finally, I was a bit disappointed that the book didn't catch up with them at the end. What happened to them?
- This is me being picky, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the displays of public affection in public..... the scene in the aquarium was a bit of stretch for me. I just didn't think it was plausible to get it on in a public place like that.
Tease was a wicked, fun little read. It takes you on a girl's journey of self discovery and desperation as she attempts to become a stripper. There is plenty of humor that lightens this up as well as a bit of mystery and suspense and a lot of steamy scenes. If you are looking for an exciting, light read definitely give this a go! I had a lot of fun with it!
A person can only make a mockery out of someone if they allow it.
He nodded. “Do you have experience?”
“Well, no. But I undress myself every day, and that seems to be the most important thing I need to know.”
The blond was still gyrating herself all over the place, now wearing nothing but a G-string. I’m sorry, but how did that not hurt? I mean, really, it was practically flossing her butt.
If he were an all-you-can-eat buffet, I’d unbutton the top of my jeans and dig in.
I couldn’t imagine why a woman would come here to watch another woman undress. I mean, if she wanted to see boobs, she could look in the mirror.
Apparently, a dirty ho had taken up residence within me without my knowledge.
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this review.
Be sure to enter all the giveaways by clicking the Wicked Button!