It's supposed to stink. That's what Cusps do.
The Ianua, Nalena and Garrett's own community, have welcomed them back by charging them as traitors and chucking them into the Hotel Celare's slammer.
And outside the fortress walls, it's no better.
The Cusp is at full-boil as the world finally surrenders to The Fury's lifestyle. Looting, riots, murders—every kind of crime has become the norm—and The Fury want to make it all permanent. They might even succeed, now that they've nabbed all thirteen of the Ianua's Cornerstones.
To preserve mankind, the only chance the Ianua have left is to beat The Fury to the Earth's Core and somehow trigger the Reset.
Like that's easy.
There's no manual on how to activate a Reset. Nobody even knows if there’s an actual Core to the Earth.
Shoot, it could be one big myth; an epic waste of effort.
But the Addo thinks there is one last hope.
So long as someone is willing to sacrifice everything to be mankind's long shot.
Published September 30th 2013 by Cornerstone Publishing
Source: Author for an honest review
Four stars: A stunning ending to an original and imaginative series!
Nalena and Garrett have been thrust into jail cells after their harrowing return to the hotel. Everyone is under suspicion these days and no one can be trusted. The remaining members of the Iuana are falling under the spell of the mastermind, Van, who is still playing the part of a loyal Iuana. Time is running out as the remainder of the world has succumbed to the Fury. Violence and chaos rein. It is up to the few remaining members of the Iuana to try and save the world. A small hope exists, and the Addo believes that the world can be reset if someone can reach the earth's core. For this dangerous mission, he relies on Nalena. Can the young and somewhat inexperienced girl manage to save humanity?
What I Liked:
- I am a big fan of Ms. Provencher's work. I am in awe of her genius and her remarkable creativity. The Cornerstone Series is a shining example of her exceptional talent. I cannot praise this indie series enough. It is far beyond anything that I have read in the mainstream market, and I feel it deserves to be read by many more people. This series is original and unlike anything you have read before. If you are tired of the same old same old and you are looking to recharge with something fresh and unique, you must read these books.
- The transformation that Nalena has undergone is amazing. She started out as a timid, desperate girl who was bullied at school and nicknamed "the Waste" due to her mother's paper hoarding. Nalena had no idea how important her mother's papers actually were. Now she is a courageous, spirited girl who is determined to save the world. She has learned to step up and fight and she doesn't back down, even when she is thrust into terrifying life threatening situations. She is far removed from the tormented girl who only wanted to hide her mother's hoarding.
- The romance is stronger and more beautiful than ever. From the first book, there has been a steady romance building between Nalena and Garrett. This is definitely a slow burner that takes its sweet time evolving. The two have weathered a few storms and survived a few shaky spells. Now they know that they are destined to be together. The final step they must take before they can officially become a couple is endure a binding. A binding is a ritual that the members of the Iunana undergo to make sure they have selected the right mate. Basically a couple is tethered together with a pair of rip cords housed in a small box. For the next few days, the pair must do everything together, never apart. That means even doing all the private things such as bathroom breaks and bathing in front of each other. If they can't hack it, then they cut the cords and the relationship is forfeit in the eyes of the Iuana. Can you even imagine? Such an entertaining and exciting concept, and it was fun seeing it in action. Garrett and Nalena explore new boundaries as they try and survive their binding. I loved watching the shyness and hesitancy of the couple as they navigate being attached full time. It doesn't help that there are a few wrenches thrown in, such as Nalena is supposed to tunnel to the core of the earth and save the world. She must choose either to drag Garrett along or cut her tether. If she fails the binding, she and Garrett will never be able to have children. What will she decide?
- The story line is once again filled with plenty of action and danger. With the world succumbing to the temptations of the Fury, people are turning traitor. It was interesting trying to figure out who was still loyal and who was a turncoat. The story builds and builds with suspense and tension until it reaches a thrilling climax, and the ending was intense. I was blown away by the direction the story took and how everything settled out, it was completely unexpected and unlike anything I have experienced. I am sad to see this phenomenal series come to a close, but what a finish it was. Don't miss it! I am still trying to make sense of it all.
- I adore Misty's writing. Her unique and funny personality shines through in her writing. Her metaphors and similes do take some time to get used to but now that I am familiar with her style, I have come to appreciate the cleverness and hilarity in her comparisons. I love her wit and sense of humor!
And The Not So Much:
- One of the aspects I love most about this series are the tremendous secondary characters. I absolutely adore the Addo who has no fashion sense and believes that a cookie can cure just about anything. I also love the rest of Garrett's family, his brothers Sean Mark and Brandon are always a delight. Unfortunately for the most part, the rest of the cast play very small roles in the story. I especially missed the Addo as his scenes are always my favorites.
- While I loved the whole story line following the binding between Garrett and Nalena, I felt a bit cheated. There is all this buildup and sexual tension, and I was so eager to see it all come to fruition but saving the world gets in the way. Talk about frustrating!
- I am not going to lie, this is a complex story with many foreign ideas and terms. There is a lot going on and so much to keep track of. I am not certain that I had a clear understanding of everything. It does get a bit confusing at times.
- The ending while stunning and unexpected was a bit chaotic, and I found I had a hard time following everything that was going on. Maybe it is just me but I am not sure I had a handle on it all. It might benefit by slowing down a tad and explaining further.
Capstone was a satisfying and exciting ending to a series that I cannot recommend enough. These books are unlike anything I have ever read and they are bursting with creativity and originality. I am always sad to say goodbye to favorite characters, but I am content with the way everything played out. I cannot wait to see what Misty has up her sleeve next. Take a chance and read these books!
"We different, he says, but we still love same."
"Traitors are worse than enemies. They know your secrets, so they can get in closer to the bone."
"I'm a train wreck on top of a car crash on top of a bicycle pile up."
"My mother used to say that a cookie could cure anything.
My mom used to say chicken soup would do that.
You're mother wan't as much fun as mine."
"He laughs again, that sound could easily translate into language like sunshine and waterfalls and Earth."
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this review.