It is Thursday, Friday Eve! Have you picked up a good book for the weekend? Perhaps
you are busy and you don't have time for a lenghty read? How about checking out the latest novella in The Weird Girl Series by Cecy Robson? A Cursed Moon is told through Bren's point of view. Bren is a life time friend of the sisters and a lone wolf. You can certainly read this as an introduction to the series since it is from a different perspective, but why would you want to miss out on the rest of the aweseomeness? I am a big fan of this series, and if you missed yesterday's post you can check out my review and giveaway for Cursed by Destiny.
Since I am a girl who tends to color outside of the lines, I am bringing you my review for the novella which comes in between books two and three. I actually read them out of order, which wasn't a problem at all.
Here is my review:
A Cursed Moon (Weird Girls #2.5) by Cecy Robson
Bren is a cocky, brash hound of a werewolf who loathes the idea of belonging to Aric’s pack—much less finding a mate. But Bren’s hotheaded behavior lands him in the doghouse when he defies Aric’s authority in front of his pack, bringing up a sore subject that’s bound to make the Alpha wolf’s blood boil…
Luckily for him, no one can stay mad at Bren and his wild charm for long. And when some frightening ghosts launch a hostile paranormal takeover, Bren will team up with Celia to take down the evil ghouls before they hurt someone they both love…
Includes a preview of the upcoming Weird Girls novel Cursed by Destiny!
Published December 3rd 2013 by Signet Eclipse
Four stars: A novella that provides a full story and leaves you satisfied.
For Bren being a werewolf hasn't always been easy. Sure he has ripped muscles and the ability to transform into a werewolf when in danger, but it has been a lonely life since his parents died. Thankfully, a friend came in an unexpected form when he met the nerdy, gangly Dan at the gym where he worked. Danny wanted to build some muscles to get chicks, but Bren knew that Dan would never be ripped. Bren's brutal honesty earned him a new friend. These days, Bren and Danny are roommates, and it is a good thing because someone has to do the cooking and cleaning for Bren. When dangerous demons started stalking the Wird girls, Bren decided to join Aric's pack. The problem is that being a part of a pack means conforming to rules and Bren isn't alway so great about staying in between the lines. On a night when Bren, Celia and Dan are out to relax, demons stalk the local club. Bren refuses to listen to his alpha and he and Celia jump into action. Will his brash behavior kill him or the ones he loves?
What I Liked:
- I am not a big fan of novellas because I always feel like I am cheated. I never feel like I get a complete story and I am always wanting more. Not to mention that more often than not, the novellas really don't do much for the overall storyline that is progressing in the series. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I got a full story, along with important developments in the series and I was left satisfied. If you are like me and you tend to steer away from novellas, I would recommend giving this one a read.
- Bren and Danny have always been two of my favorite secondary characters so I was super excited to find that this novella is told through Bren's eyes. It isn't often you get a novella from a secondary character! I enjoyed learning more about Bren's difficult past, his friendship with Danny, and I liked seeing how he felt about Celia. Aside from all that, what I liked the most was his cocky, rash, flippant attitude that lands him into all kinds of trouble. I especially enjoyed watching Bren get his ass handed to him. Bren made me laugh at his antics and I appreciated that his voice was all male. After reading this novella, I think that Ms. Robson needs to write a spinoff series from Bren's point of view.
- I was surprised and pleased to see that the novella actually took a shocking turn that led to a life changing event for one of the characters. Again, it isn't often that an author dares to write an altering event in the series in a novella. While you can certainly piece together what happened without reading the novella and go straight into A Cursed Destiny, (I know because I read them backwards...hey, I like to color outside the lines sometimes) you should read this first so you have a clearer understanding of Dan and Bren.
- Once again, the humor and snark shines through in this novella. I loved Bren's humorous voice and I especially enjoyed his interactions with Danny and Mrs. Mancuso. Bren vaulted up on my list of favorite book boyfriends.... could we have more Bren in future books, please?
And The Not So Much:
- I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't a recollection of how Bren and the Wird girls became friends. I was hoping since I was able to learn how the friendship between Danny and Bren was born that I would learn how Bren and Celia and the rest of the sisters bonded through Bren's eyes.
- I adore the full set of sisters in this series and I missed not having Shayna, Taran and Emme in this novella. Celia plays a big role, but the other three are noticeably absent.
A Cursed Moon is a novella worth checking out as it is told through one of the secondary character's eyes and it makes some bold moves in the overall storyline. I liked that I got a complete story and I was left satisfied. If you are hesitant to read a novella as you are tired of feeling cheated, this is one that is sure to please. If nothing else, pick this up to learn more about the sexy, hot Bren. I am hopeful that in the future we will get more books from his point of view.
"Don't worry Mrs. M., I'm trying to help them see the light. I plan on spending the next few hours reading to them from the Bible. They'll come around, just leave it to me."
"Hey, Ceel. What's wrong? Still mad I made you cancel your porn subscription?"
"It was really hard not to laugh at her reaction. Celia subscribing to porn was like me joining a Justin Bieber an club---so not happening."
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this review.
Cecy (pronounced Sessy) Robson is an author with Penguin's SIGNET ECLIPSE. She attributes her passion for story-telling back to the rough New Jersey neighborhood she was raised in. As a child, she was rarely allowed to leave the safety of her house and passed her time fantasizing about flying, fairies, and things that go bump in the night. Her dad unwittingly encouraged Cecy's creativity by kissing her goodnight wearing vampire fangs. Gifted and cursed with an overactive imagination, she began writing her Urban Fantasy Romance Series, Weird Girls, in May 2009. THE WEIRD GIRLS: A Novella and SEALED WITH A CURSE are now available. The second novel in The Weird Girls Series, A CURSED EMBRACE, released on July 2, 2013. A CURSED MOON novella released on December 3, 2013 and the third book: CURSED BY DESTINY will be available on January 7, 2014.
Find Cecy on her website, Facebook, Twitter andGoodreads.