It's Monday again, the Olympics are over and it is still winter....kind of a downer. Chin up! Spring is just around the corner and I have an exciting giveaway and guest post for you all today. It isn't often that I am able to stick with a series and keep up with it as the books release due to my crazy packed reading schedule. However, today's series is one that I have been with since the beginning and I have waited eagerly for each and every installment. I cannot believe that today marks the end of the journey with Mythos Academy Series by Jennifer Estep. I am always remiss to say goodbye to favorite series and characters, but I am happy to see them hopefully finally get their happy ending. I am thrilled to welcome Jennifer here once again. For those of you who haven't met Ms. Estep, it is high time you did. She is amazing and wonderful and I always love having her stop by. Let me tell you about her:
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. Killer Frost, the sixth and final book in her Mythos Academy young adult urban fantasy series, will be released on Feb. 25. Jennifer also writes the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series for Pocket, and she is the author of the Bigtime superhero paranormal romance series.
Visit Jennifer on her website,blog, Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads.
Now during February here on Rainy Day Ramblings, we celebrated romance and book boyfriends. Jennifer has her list of book boyfriends to share with you so sit back and enjoy:
Greetings! First of all, I want to thank Heidi for hosting me on her blog today. Thanks so much, Heidi!
So today, Heidi asked me to share some of my book boyfriends. You know who I’m talking about—the guys that you love to read about and always miss whenever they are not on the page. The guys who make you laugh and cry and cheer them on as they search for their happy endings. Here are some of my picks:
The Beast from the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale: This is my favorite fairy tale, and a large part of the reason why is the Beast. Depending on the version you read, he gives Beauty an entire library when he discovers that she likes to read. How sweet and wonderful is that? Nothing says true love like books.
W.W. Hale from the Heist Society series by Ally Carter: Hale is the suave, charming, loyal kind of guy who will help a girl swipe whatever she desires—while he steals her heart along the way.
Ash from the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa: Given his winter-based powers, Ash can be as cold as ice on the outside, but his emotions run deep, and he goes on an epic quest to be with the girl that he loves.
Noah Hutchins from Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry: Noah is another guy who’s tough on the outside, but considerate, caring, and exceedingly loyal to his friends and family on the inside.
Jaron from the Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer A. Nielsen: He’s smart, witty, and in trouble more often than not as he tries to save his kingdom, but Jaron is one of those characters that you just can’t help but root for.
So those are some of my book boyfriends. What about you guys? Who are some of your book boyfriends?
Happy reading, everyone!
A terrific list, Jennifer. You are so right about the Beast, I certainly would love a whole library! I can think of a sexy Spartan who should be on that list..... Have you all met Logan yet from Jennifer's Mythos Academy Series? He is sexy, confident and deadly. Logan can fashion a weapon out of anything! Gotta love a guy like that. Jennifer never visits without bringing a treat, and today is no exception. Jennifer is offering to one lucky reader a chance to win Killer Frost the final book in The Mythos Academy Series. To enter fill out the Rafflecopter after you read the Contest Policies. This Giveaway is open to U.S. Residents only. Thank you so much Jennifer! Best of luck with you future endeavors, I cannot wait to see what you bring us next!
Here is my review:
Killer Frost(Mythos Academy #6) by Jennifer Estep
Yeah, I’ve got my psychometry magic, my talking sword, Vic–and even the most dangerous Spartan on campus at my side, in Logan freaking Quinn, but I’m no match for Loki, the evil Norse god of chaos.
I may be Nike’s Champion, but at heart, I’m still just Gwen Frost, that weird Gypsy girl everyone at school loves to gossip about.
Then someone I love is put in more danger than ever before, and something inside me snaps.
This time, Loki and his Reapers are going down for good … or I am.
ebook, 384 pages
Four and a half stars: A thrilling, action packed finale!
Gwen and Logan are enjoying a few stolen moments at the local coffee shop. Unfortunately, Gwen can't shake her feelings of unease, as she knows it is just a matter of time before Loki and the Reapers attack again. Things are coming to a head, and Gwen realizes that time is running out. Sure enough on the way home, Logan's dad shows up and asks Gwen to assist them with the some artifacts. The Reaper's are after one article in particular, but the question is which one and why? Can Gwen discover what the Reapers want and find a way to kill Loki once and for all?
What I Liked:
- It is always hard to read the finale of a favorite series, on one hand, I am anxious to know who everything will settle and out and if my favorite characters will get their happy ending, and then on the other hand, I dread having to say goodbye, and I worry that the final book might not meet my expectations. Thankfully, Killer Frost delivers. It is an action packed thrill ride from beginning to end with barely a moment to catch your breath. It has danger, battles, loss and a new found romance, along with the answers to many lingering questions. At last, I learned more about the mysterious Raven and the statues. I was not disappointed in the least, and I closed the book satisfied, while feeling happy and sad. If you are a fan of this series, don't hesitate to get this final book, it is well worth the wait!
- How I have loved watching the characters of this series grow. Gwen is no longer timid and invisible. Instead everyone looks to her for guidance. She has grown more secure with her fighting skills and she doesn't shirk from a fight. She meets her foes head on, and with Vic's help she conquers time and time again. Logan is for the most part back to his old self, quick to jump into a fight and he is devoted to Gwen. Daphne is another characters who has come along way, and I love how the friendship between Gwen and Daphne has only gotten stronger. I especially loved seeing the new found feelings between Gwen and the uptight librarian, Nickamedes. This is a series with not only strong, likable main characters, but it also has a well rounded secondary cast of characters that enrich the story. Even the villains: Loki, Vivian and Agrona are despicable and scary. I love that this series has strong, top notch characters!
- This book is fast paced with a focused storyline. Ms. Estep wastes no time in plunging Gwen and the rest into mortal danger once again. Gwen especially is forced to make some difficult and harrowing decisions in order to save someone she loves. This book is jam packed with battle scenes and danger all leading up to the epic final battle. I highly recommend setting aside a couple of uninterrupted hours to read this one because once this book hits is stride, it doesn't let up until the final pages, you won't want to put it down, it is that good!
- One thing that I have always appreciated about this series is that Ms. Estep with each and every book provides an index at the end for quick reference to the characters and artifacts and anything else of importance in the books. It is so nice to be able to refer to that for a refresher. I wish more authors provided an index.
- I was thrilled that at the end, everything was wrapped up neatly and there were no lingering questions or undone story lines. It appears that Gwen and the rest of the gang have earned a well deserved respite, and I don't think that Ms. Estep will be revisiting them again, unless she decides to do a spinoff series featuring Gwen's cousin Rory. I can honestly say that this book was everything I hoped for, and I was happy with the outcome.
And The Not So Much:
- I adored Grandma Frost, she was one of my favorite characters from the get go, but I finished the series a bit disappointed that her gift of seeing the future never had any bearing on the story. I kept thinking that she would use her ability to help Gwen win against the Reapers, but it never happens. I struggled with this because I didn't understand her gift and why she wasn't able to utilize it to help. If she revealed what she saw in her visions did it change things? Why didn't she ever talk to Gwen about her visions?
- I was hoping that Rory and Rachel would come back and play a strong role as I enjoyed them in the last book. While the do make a brief appearance, there time is small and there isn't any development with Rory and her issues. However, there was a tiny hint that there might be more coming on Rory in the future, and I have my fingers crossed.
- There is a budding new relationship in the works between two people who have been close mentors to Gwen at the school. I was a bit disappointed that this relationship wasn't a bit more in depth. I was wanting another romance, but it is quick and lacks a emotion. No big deal, it was still fun to see them come together.
Killer Frost brings to close a terrific, exciting and wonderful series. I have been a fan of the series since the beginning, and even though I am sad to say goodbye, I am pleased that it ends on a high note and that it concludes before the story lines are worn thin. This final installment delivers with plenty of heart pounding action, an epic showdown, and the answers to many lingering questions. If you are a fan of this series, I think you will love this final book, and if you have yet to pick up this series, what are you waiting for? You can devour them back to back! I am now a fan of Ms. Estep and I can't wait to see what she brings us next.
"I'm nobody's hero. Trust me on that. I'm just a girl who is always in the wrong place at the wrong time." "Or maybe it's the right place at the right time."
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this review.
Check out the entire series:
Now that I have completed this series, it is high time I read Elemental Assassin!