Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secretsand human lives.In The Indigo Spell, Sydney was torn between the Alchemist way of life and what her heart and gut were telling her to do. And in one breathtaking moment that Richelle Mead fans will never forget, she made a decision that shocked even her. . . .But the struggle isn't over for Sydney. As she navigates the aftermath of her life-changing decision, she still finds herself pulled in too many directions at once. Her sister Zoe has arrived, and while Sydney longs to grow closer to her, there's still so much she must keep secret. Working with Marcus has changed the way she views the Alchemists, and Sydney must tread a careful path as she harnesses her profound magical ability to undermine the way of life she was raised to defend. Consumed by passion and vengeance, Sydney struggles to keep her secret life under wraps as the threat of exposureand re-educationlooms larger than ever.Pulses will race throughout this thrilling fourth installment in the New York Times bestselling Bloodlines series, where no secret is safe.Audio
Four and a half stars: More romance, twists and a stunning finish!
Sydney is struggling to find time for her clandestine romance and her magical studies, while maintaining her strict Alchemist front. Things have gotten even more difficult since her younger sister, Zoe, started at her school. Zoe is still caught under the allure of the Alchemists, and that means she harbors the same prejudices and fears against Moroi and Dhampirs that Sydney once held. Sydney longs to be closer to Zoe and to somehow show her the truth about her new friends, but things go from bad to worse once Zoe and Sydney learn some important news about their parents. Meanwhile, Sydney is still trying to get to the bottom of the truth behind the alchemist ink. Is Sydney juggling too many things? Can she continue to hide what she is really doing from the Alchemists?
What I Liked:
- I love how Ms. Mead always makes each book in her series better and better. The Fiery Heart is no exception. This book takes the story in new, dangerous directions while solidifying a gorgeous and swoon worthy romance that will leave fans clamoring for more. Then she rips the rug out from under you with a shocking and dreadful cliffhanger ending that will have you pulling your hair out for the next book. I am a big fan of Ms. Mead and this series is evolving into her best yet.
- Character growth continues to be monumental in this series. Sydney has come so far and I am loving the new and improved Sydney. She throws caution to the wind time and time again in this book, and I loved seeing the new sexually charged and daring Sydney. She has finally shaken free of her long held Alchemist beliefs and now she is finding her own beliefs as she continues to listen to her heart and not her head. I am enjoying her new found friendship with Ms. Twilliger and I like seeing her channel her magical abilities. Adrian is growing and maturing in ways I didn't think possible, I must admit, that I do miss his bad boy antics, but I am liking seeing him gain respect and I love how he has matured. Even Angeline is showing improvement, and that is saying a lot!
- I was thrilled to finally catch up a bit with Rose, Lissa and even Christian when Sydney and Adrian visit court. It was fun to see the old gang again, but I do wish there could have been more time spent there. Still I am hopeful that there will be more from the VA cast in the next book.
- The romance is delightful. There are a couple of slight bumps in the road, and I worried that things might fall apart, but I was completely satisfied with the way things developed and how everything went down. There were certainly some moments that made my heart melt. I think this is Ms. Mead's best romance to date. Speaking of romance, I also am enjoying the additional side romances going on. There are three other romances being established, and I can't wait to see how they all play out.
- Eddie has always been a favorite of mine, and this time around he completely stole my heart. I can't get enough of Eddie!
- I liked that this book explored several different story lines. Sydney has her hands full as she tries to find the answer to cracking the Alchemist ink, as well as helping to find a way to fight against the Strigoi. She is continuing to develop her magic, and she is in constant danger because her sister is still firmly entrenched in Alchemist beliefs and following her every move. I loved seeing how everything came together, that is until the stunning cliffhanger.
And The Not So Much:
- Can you say brutal cliffhanger!! Seriously! The ending was cruel and unusual punishment. In all honesty, I am glad that I didn't get around to reading this until now as I only have a couple of months to wait for the next book. If you hate harsh cliffhangers, you might want to read this a bit closer to the release of book five.
- I was a bit disappointed that hardly any of the story lines were developed and followed up on from the previous book, The Indigo Spell. It was almost like the events in the last book didn't happen. There is no mention of Alicia nor is there any discussion on the fate of Veronica. It was clear that Alicia would be back, but she remains out of the picture in this one. I thought that was a bit strange.
- Zoe was extremely irritating and annoying, and I couldn't stand her. It was clear to me early on how things were going to play out regarding her, so I wasn't surprised at all by her actions at the end.
The Fiery Heart is the best book to date in this excellent series. This book continues to mature characters while establishing new and exciting story lines, and setting up some terrific romances. Everything culminates to a fast, furious and stunning cliffhanger ending that will leave you anxiously checking the date for the next release. Do not miss this series!
I borrowed a copy of this book from the library. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this review.