Caroline Reynolds has a fantastic new apartment in San Francisco, a KitchenAid mixer, and no O (and we're not talking Oprah here, folks). She has a flourishing design career, an office overlooking the bay, a killer zucchini bread recipe, and no O. She has Clive (the best cat ever), great friends, a great rack, and no O. Adding insult to O-less, since her move, she has an oversexed neighbor with the loudest late-night wallbanging she's ever heard. Each moan, spank, and--was that a meow?--punctuates the fact that not only is she losing sleep, she still has, yep, you guessed it, no O. Enter Simon Parker. (No, really, Simon, please enter.) When the wallbanging threatens to literally bounce her out of bed, Caroline, clad in sexual frustration and a pink baby-doll nightie, confronts her heard-but-never-seen neighbor. Their late-night hallway encounter has, well, mixed results. Ahem. With walls this thin, the tension's gonna be thick... In her third novel, Alice Clayton returns to dish her trademark mix of silly and steamy. Banter, barbs, and strutting pussycats, plus the sexiest apple pie ever made, are dunked in a hot tub and set against the gorgeous San Francisco skyline in this hot and hilarious tale of exasperation at first sight.ebook, 320 pages
Four stars: A funny, romantic, chick lit read with a sweet, slow burning romance.
Caroline snuggles into her high thread count sheets, exhausted after spending the day unpacking and organizing her new apartment. She is ready for a good night's sleep. Thump! Thump! Thump! Carolyn bolts awake. What on earth woke her at two in the morning? Thump! Thump! Her bed is rattling. Puzzled, she wipes the sleep from her bleary eyes. Then she hears giggling, and the unmistakable sounds of sizzling sex going on behind the wall abutting her bed. Irritated, Carolyn finally goes back to sleep. Hopefully, it is just a one time event, but the next night, and the night after that, Carolyn is once again treated to the thumping and sounds of late night lovemaking in the apartment next door. The sexually frustrated Carolyn is going to put an end to this late night wallbanging one way or another. What she doesn't plan on is forming and unexpected friendship with the wallbanger next door. Will Carolyn succumb to Simon, the Wallbanger's charms?
What I Liked:
- I went into this one expecting it to be packed full of sizzling sex, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that this was a chick lit book with fun characters, a slow building romance, hilarious scenes, lots of sexual innuendos and a sizzling finale. Don't think this is an erotic book because of the title or subject matter, in reality it is a charming, feel good, romance perfect for when you need a funny, pick me up read.
- The romance is perfect. This is a slow burning, tension filled, antagonistic romance that takes almost the entire book to build. No insta love or love triangles. This is romance done right, and I loved the journey. It starts out as antagonistic when the couple first meets. There are some sparks and heated words, until they decide on a truce. From that point, a hesitant friendship forms filled with lots of fun sexual innuendoes, until it moves into a solid friendship with the underlying tension of a serious attraction. The romance builds and builds until the reader and the characters are more than ready for that sinful explosion of passion, and when it does finally get there, it doesn't disappoint. If you are a reader that likes a romance filled with witty banter, chemistry and slow movement, this is the book for you.
- I liked that both Simon and Carolyn ended up surprising me with their depth. In the beginning, I wasn't exactly drawn to either character. Carolyn is uptight, extremely sexually frustrated, quick to judge and a little irritating. However as the story progresses, she begins to relax a bit and let down her guard. I liked watching her change her opinion regarding Simon and seeing their friendship form. I loved her straightforward manner and that she spoke what was on her mind. She is an expert at sexual innuendoes and she bakes some mean bread. Simon at first meeting comes across as a man whore. He has three different women banging against his wall in three subsequent nights! Who would want to date a man like that? Wait... he just might surprise you. Peel back his layers and you will see a kind hearted, sweet, caring man behind the wallbanging facade.
- This is a book that will make you drool with all the delicious decadent food descriptions. Seriously, this book is like food porn. From Carolyn's sweet treats to the rich food in Italy. Yes, there is a trip to Italy! I totally wanted to dive in and sample some of the food.
- This is the perfect pick me up romance. It is fun, flirty and full of humor. Don't think this is a book packed with lots of sex. After the opening chapters with the wall banging, there are only hints of sex until the romance reaches that point. I liked that this was more of a chick lit type read than a romance. Fear not, if you are romance fan, the final chapters will certainly appease you.
And The Not So Much:
- I was thoroughly enjoying the antagonistic portion of the relationship, and I was a bit disappointed that it moved out of that phase rather quickly. I thought the whole situation was rather hilarious and I was expecting it to last longer.
- Thankfully, I ended up liking Carolyn, but in the beginning it was a bit of a rough ride. She is uptight and edgy. She is so sexually frustrated that she is a bit mean. It takes awhile for her to settle out, but once she does she ends up being a likable character.
- While I enjoyed the romance, it is totally predictable. There is never any doubt where things will end up.
- I thought this got a bit long. It could have been a bit shorter. The book dragged a bit in the middle for me, and I didn't like added points of view out of nowhere from Mimi and Ryan.
Wallbanger is a fun, flirty romance that will make you laugh. If you are looking for a lots of sizzle and sex, you might be disappointed as this reads more like a chick lit book. Be patient, though the slow burning romance does finally pay off with some sizzle at the end. I personally liked that this was a long drawn out, sexually charged romance that takes almost the entire book to build. Pick this up when you need something light and funny.
I borrowed a copy of this book from the library. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this review.