I am super excited to be featuring A Curse Awakened the latest novella in The Weird Girl Series by Cecy Robson. It is hard to believe that I picked up this series just last year as it has quickly vaulted onto my list of favorite Urban Fantasy series. I love the originality of the books and I thoroughly enjoy all the unique traits and powers of the Wird sisters. If you like books with plenty of paranormal creatures, lost of action and a sizzling romance (even though the romance drives me crazy) this is a series you must try. I also appreciate that the novellas in the series aren't just fillers, they are lengthy, exciting and they provide new information. This latest novella filled in so of the gaps regarding how the girls were cursed. A must read for any fan of the series. Today as part of the tour, I have a short review for you and a tour wide giveaway. I urge you to get after this series before the next book: A Cursed Bloodline (Weird Girls #4) releases in November.
Here is my review:
A Cursed Awakened (A Weird Girls Novella) by Cecy Robson
Discover Cecy Robson’s sensational Weird Girls series—or return to where the magic first began—with this eBook original prequel novella about four sisters coming to grips with their unique supernatural powers.
Celia Wird shouldn’t possess the ability to transform into a tigress. Her three sisters should never be able to burst into flames, heal wounds, or transform common objects into deadly weapons. And yet they do.
Before they were born, the Wird Sisters were cursed by a spell that was intended to destroy them, not endow them with extraordinary powers. The sisters’ magic is untamed and explosive at best, and time is running out for them to take command.
Vampires have targeted Celia’s sweet, tragically human ex-boyfriend Danny. The sisters rush to his aid, but in order to take down the vamps, first they must face their dark past and break a spell that’s screwing up their powers. Except this curse wasn’t meant to be broken . . . and the witch who cast it isn’t done toying with them yet.
ebook, 95 pages
Published: August 19th 2014 by Loveswept
Four stars: An exciting novella that fills in the blanks and leaves you hungry for the next book.
The Wird sisters are used to trials and tribulations. They were cursed when they were young, which gave them inexplicable powers. When there parents were murdered, the girls went into foster care, where they bounced from home to home and earned the label "The Weird Sisters."
Now the girls are grown, and ready to move away from New Jersey and start over. Before they leave, Celia gets a frantic phone call from her ex boyfriend Danny. His father was kidnapped by vampires and he needs their help. Celia and her sisters know that they can't take on the vamps and survive unless they free themselves from the curse that has plagued them and fully unlock their powers. Will they sisters survive breaking the curse and the vampires?
What I Liked:
- Wow! It isn't often that I read novellas, and even when I do, I am rarely satisfied. I feel like too many novellas are short fillers and they end before they get going. That isn't the case with A Curse Awakened. At just under a hundred pages, this is more than a filler. It is an exciting story that fills in some of the gaps of the main story line. If you wanted to know more about the Wird girls curse, read this one.
- This novella takes you back in time to before the girls had unlocked their full powers and before they moved to Lake Tahoe. I loved following the girls as they traced the origin of their curse with the help of their friend Danny. Can you say creepy? When the girls go to break the curse they are encountered by a garage of horrors. The woman that cast that curse must have been a nut job. It was an intense scene to say the least.
- Danny has been an important part of the gang from the beginning, and he has always been a favorite of mine. I liked going back in time and seeing how he and the four sisters grew close. Danny is the brains of the operation, and I am always eager to see what he will think of next.
- If you are worried about not having enough action, you needn't. This book is packed full of fight scenes and paranormal horror that you have come to expect with a Weird Girls book. Never a dull moment!
- I appreciated that this novella provided a full story. I was satisfied at the end that I wasn't left with a cliffhanger or a bunch of unanswered questions. This is definitely worth the read.
- At the time of this review, this novella is priced at $.99. You can't go wrong with that price tag!
And The Not So Much:
- I liked getting the back story details on the curse, but I still don't have the full picture as to why the crazy witch decided to curse the girls' mother. There is speculation, but not a firm reason. I am hoping that we will get a bit more on the powerful witch. Who was the werewolf that tore out her throat and why?
- The girls encounter a strange cousin who ultimately helps them unlock the curse. There is a huge twist regarding this cousin. I wanted more on this story arc. I was hoping that the girls would go back and help the grandma and learn more information, but alas that story line was left hanging. I hope that it is revisited down the road.
A Curse Awakened is a thrilling and satisfying novella in the terrific Weird Girls Series. This is one of the best new Urban Fantasy series to hit the market in the last couple of years. It has everything you love in a good UF series. Great characters, plenty of paranormal creatures, originality, humor and romance. I can't recommend these books enough. If you have yet to check it out, this novella is a good place to start as it is actually a prequel story. All I can say is that if you haven't started this series, you are missing out.
"The last thing I want is you straddling his skinny ass and making skinny ass babies."
"Truth doesn't always matter, Celia. Especially if there are enough willing to believe the lies."
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this review.
Now for the best part... as part of the tour, I am able to offer you a chance to win a terrific prize pack. To enter, fill out the Rafflecopter. Please note: This contest is not hosted by Rainy Day Ramblings. I am not responsible for selecting winners and distributing prizes.
Check out the full The Weird Girl Series by Cecy Robson. :
About the author:
Cecy Robson is the New Adult author of Once Perfect, Once Loved, and Once Pure and the award-winning author of the Weird Girls urban fantasy romance series.
A self-proclaimed professional napper, Robson counts among her talents a jaw-dropping knowledge of useless trivia, the ability to make her hair big, and a knack for breaking into song despite her family’s vehement protests.
A full-time writer, registered nurse, wife, and mother living in the Great Northwest, she enjoys spending time with her family and silencing the yappy characters in her head by telling their stories.
Connect with Cecy
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads