The truth about Mara Dyer’s dangerous and mysterious abilities continues to unravel in the New York Times best-selling sequel to the thrilling The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.
Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past. She can’t. She used to think her problems were all in her head. They aren’t. She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets. She’s wrong.
In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?Audible Audio
Four Stars: A book that continues to boggle the mind.
Mara Dyer wakes up in the asylum. She is told that due to her recent episode where she claimed to see her dead boyfriend in the police station, that she is going to be spending some time in the mental hospital. Mara knows what she saw, but she won't admit it to anyone except Noah. Now she is must convince everyone that she isn't crazy, but when strange things keep happening to her, even Mara begins to question her own sanity. Is she insane?
What I Liked:
- Whoa! This book was full of so many twists, surprises and moments of complete bafflement that I don't even know how to begin to describe it. I thought I was drowning with all the strangeness in the first book, but this second book takes everything you thought you knew, and throws it out the window. This is an entertaining series that continues to keep me guessing. I still can't decide what is going on.
- I always enjoy a good unreliable narrator, and I think Mara Dyer takes the cake for being the best of the best. This girl is a trip. I can't decide from what chapter to the next what is going on with her, and whether or not she is crazy. Even after the bombshell, cliffhanger ending, I am still pondering. If you love books with interesting, half crazy narrators, you must check out this series.
- The romance continues to blossom, moving slow and steady. I loved the new unexpected developments regarding Noah, and I loved him. He is solid, true and unwavering, and willing to do whatever it takes to protect Mara. I am throughly enjoying this relationship grow.
- This is one twisty, chaotic read that impressed me more and more as I went on. I can't go into details without spoiling anything, so all I will say is read it for yourself if you want a quirky book that will constantly have you changing your opinion on anyone and everything.
And The Not So Much:
- Talk about another cliffhanger. This book ends with a jagged, ending that takes everything you thought you knew and puts an entirely new terrifying spin on it. I was absolutely stunned by the final pages.
- This book incorporates lots of strange flashbacks in India that seem to be happening to Mara's maternal grandmother. I wasn't a fan of these chapters as I couldn't ascertain what their purpose was. I am sure in the final book all will be explained, but I must admit during these portions of the book, my attention wavered.
- Once again, I listened to the audio version of the book. In the first book, I had issues with the narrator reading at too quick of pace. I thought this time out, her pacing was much improved, but there were still moments where she speeds through it.
The Evolution of Mara Dyer is one heck of ride. This is a twisty, thought provoking read that will continue to astonish and baffle you. I guarantee by the end you will be completely confused. If you enjoy books with unreliable narrators, strange mysteries and ones that mess with your head, definitely pick up this series. Be warned, there are some nasty cliffhangers.
I borrowed a copy of this book from the library. All opinions are own and I was not compensated for this review.