Mara Dyer wants to believe there's more to the lies she's been told.
She doesn't stop to think about where her quest for the truth might lead.
She should. She never had to imagine how far she would go for vengeance.
She will now.
Loyalties are betrayed, guilt and innocence tangle, and fate and chance collide in this shocking conclusion to Mara Dyer's story. Retribution has arrived.Audible Audio
Four Stars: A Series that will make your head spin.
Mara Dyer wakes to find herself in a whole heap of trouble. She now knows the truth behind all the strange events that have been happening to her. The problem is the truth is so bizarre and unbelievable that Mara knows that no one will likely believe her. First and foremost, though, she must escape her tormentors and find Noah, for she knows that he is still out there. Can Mara find redemption?
What I Liked:
- Whoa! That was one heck of a ride. I am still in awe of this story, and amazed at the complexity and intelligence of the tale. I never had a complete grasp from beginning to end as to what was really going on until it all played out. This is a series full of amazing twists and surprises that will have you gasping in shock until the brutal finale. I promise, you won't begin to guess the truth.
- I applaud Ms. Hodkin for delivering a YA trilogy that is completely original, one that avoids the typical cliches, and a story that is mind blowing. If you are craving something fresh and creative, I urge you to try this freaky little series.
- At last, Mara rises up to the occasion and embraces her dark side. She is unflinching when it comes to doing what is necessary. If that means murdering her tormentors, removing squishy eyeballs, she does it. I liked seeing this new, dark Mara and I cheered her as she explored her other side.
- The romance continues to shine. It is the one thing that remains steady and true throughout the series. However, this time it explodes into something so achingly beautiful, that I was in awe. Those final, quick chapters when Noah and Mara finally come together were gorgeously written. I was amazed by Ms. Hodkin's talent.
- I loved that through thick and thin, Mara's brother Daniel always had her back. I liked that the brother sister bond played a huge role in the story.
- At last, all the strange flashbacks to the past began to make sense. It was interesting to see how they tied into the story.
- I loved that this book made me think, and I appreciated the intelligent and complex ideas put forth by Ms. Hodkin. This is a series that will have me pondering on it for weeks to come.
- The ending draws to a satisfying close without a lot of loose ends or unanswered questions. At last I had the answers I craved.
- I listened to the audio version of this, and I can say that Christy Romano has grown as a narrator. This final book was expertly narrated. I didn't have any issues with her pacing, and I think she did a terrific job. I won't hesitate to listen to something she narrates in the future.
And The Not So Much:
- This was such a complex trilogy. I am glad that I read it in quick succession. I think I would have struggled had I read it over a period of three years. It was much easier to absorb and make sense of everything listening to the books back to back.
- I expected retribution for all of those who had harmed Mara and the others, but not everyone gets their just dues. I didn't like that some people seemed to get away with their bad behavior.
- Though I was glad that things ended on a happily ever after note, I still wanted more. I want to believe that the naysayers are wrong about the romance. I want it to be long lasting a lovely.
The Retribution of Mara Dyer is a satisfying and fitting ending to a highly entertaining and thought provoking series. I can't even begin to describe how strange and weird this adventure is. Just when you think you have it figured out, you don't. If you are looking for a tremendous YA series that is creative and original, check out the Mara Dyer Trilogy.
“Mara is anything but peaceful—even in repose she is a silky gray cloud, bright with the promise of lightning. I will not find peace with her. But there will be no greater passion.”
“We get one life, Mara. You might live forever and I might die tomorrow, but right now we’re both here. And I want to spend the time I have with you.”
“You are what happiness means to me. And I would rather have today with you than forever with anyone else.”
"I can tell she wants to believe it, and I pray that she does, because I don’t think I can stand to.”
“You think it can’t get worse than wanting someone and not having them, but it can. You can want someone, have them, and want them more. Still. Always. You can never get enough.”
“I love you. Today. Tonight. Tomorrow. Forever. If I were to live a thousand years, I would belong to you for all of them. If I were to live a thousand lives, I would want to make you mine in each one.”
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this review.
Here is a sample of The Retribution of Mara Dyer narrated by Christy Romano:
Be sure to check out the first two books: