I am thrilled to be participating in The Curse Unbroken Tour! I was lucky enough to jump on board The Weird Girl Series by Cecy Robson. at the beginning, and since then, I have been an avid fan. If you love a paranormal series with plenty of creatures whether it be vampires, witches or all kinds of weres along with four feisty sisters who all have unique powers, you need to read this series. It is one of my favorite paranormal/romantic/urban fantasy series to date. Anyway, I will quit rambling and get on with the post. Let's first meet Cecy, if you haven't met her yet:
Cecy Robson is the New Adult author of Once Perfect, Once Loved, and Once Pure and the award-winning author of the Weird Girls urban fantasy romance series. A self-proclaimed professional napper, Cecy counts among her talents a jaw-dropping knowledge of useless trivia, the ability to make her hair big, and a knack for breaking into song despite her family’s vehement protests. A full-time writer, registered nurse, wife, and mother living in the Great Northwest, Cecy enjoys spending time with her family and silencing the yappy characters in her head by telling their stories.
Cecy is a sweet gal and a terrific author, I know because I have read every one of her books to date. Trust me it isn't often that I am caught up on all of an author's books!
Today as part of The Curse Unbroken Tour! I have a review and a giveaway for you. So let's get to my review:
A Curse Unbroken (Weird Girls #5) by Cecy Robson
Fans of Keri Arthur will love the Weird Girls, four sisters cursed with supernatural powers. In Cecy Robson’s latest urban fantasy romance, the search is on for an unholy grail, while evil is licking its wounds—and looking for revenge.
The preternatural world is changing. After a massive magical throwdown tore apart the established order, the dark elements are rebuilding their ranks unopposed. Celia Wird’s world is changing, too. She’s the mate of the pureblood were Aric, and his Warriors are honor-bound to protect her family as she and her sisters recover from unimaginable horrors.
Celia hesitates to reveal the true extent of the Wird sisters’ trauma, but they aren’t the only ones keeping secrets: Aric and the werewolf Elders are tracking a stone that grants limitless power. So is a tough coven of witches. Then Misha, a master vampire with his own plans for the stone, sends Celia after it. Can she and the vamps beat both the weres and the witches to the treasure before it falls into the wrong hands?
Fearing for Celia’s safety, Aric begs her to stay out of the hunt. What they don’t realize is that they’re the ones being hunted. But Celia’s ready to prove that she’s not easy prey.ebook, 272 pages
Four and a half stars: Another solid, action packed Wird Sister adventure.
Celia and Aric are reveling in all their time together. They seem to have overcome their obstacles, and they are finally together. Just when things are perfect, another paranormal disaster strikes. Aric, Celia and the pack are attacked on the shores of Tahoe by three dangerous and formidable shapeshifters. It turns out an old and deadly power is about to expire and if this powerful object ends up in the wrong hands, the world could be doomed. Unfortunately for Celia and Aric, the danger hits too close to home and before long, Celia, Aric and everyone she loves are drawn into a life or death battle. Can Celia and Aric once again overcome the odds?
What I Liked:
- Whew! Another exciting thrill ride from beginning to end. I never can get enough of the Wird Sisters, and each installment in this series has proven to be an adrenaline fueled thrill ride. I loved all the action in this one, but more than that, I appreciated the strong romance. Even though this book is the finale for Aric and Celia, I think the two deserve a long earned respite, and so I am okay to let them go for now, but eager to hear Taran's story. If you are a fan of this series, this is a must read, and if you haven't yet picked up the series, now is the perfect time because you can do some serious binge reading.
- At the heart of the story is the strong bond between Aric and Celia. Even though the two have been through hell and back, their love remains the force the drives them. I have long been a fan of the romance in this one, despite the odds and the drama. I was relieved and happy to see how it all played out and ended. If any couple is going to make it, Celia and Aric will. If you like a sizzling hot romance with lots of action and hurdles, get this series.
- This book took a different stance compared to previous books. In this one, it is the alliance of good battling the forces of evil, but in a different way. I can't get into specifics, but I liked the tone and story line of this book. It was unique. I also liked seeing the witches, vampires and werewolves working together.
- Speaking of witches, this was the first time that we have seen the good witches play a strong role in the story. There have been plenty of wicked witches, but this time the good witches play a big and important part in helping to fight the evil. I liked the addition of the witches, and I am hoping they will have a strong presence in the next books.
- Ms. Robson's books always have intricate story lines with many side stories, and this one is no exception. I liked the inclusion of the side stories, and I appreciated that they were setting up the stories in the spin off books. This time around Taran is struggling with her powers and her relationship, and I was just itching to know more, but I am going to have to wait. A new fledgling romance is in the works, and I am eager for more of that one as well.
- The ending was satisfying and conclusive as far as Celia and Aric go. I know that will still be making appearances in the other books, and I am relieved that their torment seems to be over. This book concluded most of their story, and tied off loose story threads on the sister's past and their origins, while setting in place exciting threads for the next book which is all about Taran. I liked this final book for Celia and Aric, and I am more than excited for Taran's book.
And The Not So Much:
- As I mentioned, Taran is dealing with some big issues, and consequently, she is a shadow of her former self. I missed her brash, crazy humor. The book wasn't the same without her mouthing off and getting into trouble. Still, I understand why, and I know it was done to set up her story. I have grown used to Taran's comedic relief and I missed it. Not to mention, there was only one encounter with Mrs. Mancuso the nosy neighbor, I wanted more of that wackiness as well.
- While I enjoyed the bigger role of the witches, that excluded Misha a bit. He does make his appearance at the end, but for the most part his role is diminished in this one, and I missed the posturing between he and Aric. The school girl vamps are still there so they helped make up for Misha's absence.
- Danny and Bren had small roles in this one as well. I am hoping they will have large roles in Taran's story.
- I was a bit frustrated that after everything Celia and Aric have weathered that there were a few moments in this one where they revisited the same romantic issues they have been grappling with from the the beginning. I didn't like that these issues once again reared their ugly heads. Thankfully, it is short lived.
A Curse Unbroken is a thrilling conclusion to Aric and Celia's story. I loved the danger, the action, the romance and the reveals. I have been a fan of this series from the beginning, and I was satisfied with this final installment in Aric and Celia's story. I am pleased though that this journey is not yet over as Taran is waiting in the wings with her story. I cannot wait to see what Taran has in store. If you have not yet picked up The Weird Girls Series, now is the perfect time as you can binge read all five of the books before the spin off series starts. This is one of the best new series I have read, and I highly recommend it.
"What you should have told me was that you were my sun that rises to the morning and the moon that makes me howl at night. That you were more than I ever needed, or desired in a mate."
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this review.
Now for the giveaway! I am able to offer you today a chance to win a $25 eGift Card of Winner's Choice Bookseller, Loveswept Mug & Nail Polish. To enter fill out the Rafflecopter. Please note this giveaway is not hosted by Rainy Day Ramblings. If you need more details on the giveaway and contest policies, please visit Tasty Book Tours, and while you are there check out their upcoming tours.a Rafflecopter giveaway
A huge thanks to the ladies at Tasty Book Tours for allowing me to be a part of this tour.
See the full tour schedule here.