Atlanta would be a nice place to live, if it weren't for the magic. When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose.
Kate Daniels works for the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid, officially as a liaison with the mercenary guild. Unofficially, she cleans up the paranormal problems no one else wants to handle---especially if they involve Atlanta's shapeshifting community.
When she's called in to investigate a fight at the Steel Horse, a bar on the border between the territories of the shapeshifters and the necromancers, Kate quickly discovers that there's a new player in town. One who's been around for thousands of years---and who rode to war at the side of Kate's father.
This foe may be too much even for Kate and Curran, the Beast Lord, to handle. Because this time Kate will be taking on family.
From Tantor MediaMP3 Book, Unabridged - Digital Download, 13 pages
Five Stars: This series gets better and better!
Kate Daniels is ready to call it a day, she is headed home when she receives a call from Maxine at The Order. Could Kate run by and check out a disturbance at the Steel Horse Bar? Kate agrees after she is promised chocolate goodness in the form of cookies. Once Kate reaches the bar, she comes across a deadly scene of chaos. A man in a brown cloak came into the bar, grabbed one of the patrons and took him out to the parking lot. That man is now dead staked up with a spear through his throat, and he is oozing some type of deadly disease. Kate must act quickly or the disease will spread. Kate soon finds out that this same hooded person has been spreading disease and destruction throughout the South. Who is behind the killings and why?
What I Liked:
- The Kate Daniels Series continues to get better and better with each installment. This book was a whirlwind adventure with lots of danger, action and big revelations, and finally significant progress into the sizzling territory with the romance. This book notches up the series, and it will leave you hungering for more. If you have yet to start the Kate Daniels Series, why are you waiting?
- I loved that in this book we get a glimpse at the bigger picture. More information about Kate's dad is revealed, as well as her past, allowing the reader to assess exactly what Kate is up against. The more I learn, the more worried I become. However, with each installment, Kate is growing and becoming more badass, while making more friends and allies. I have no doubt when that pivotal moment comes, Kate will be more than ready. Roland scares the pants off me!
- The villain in this book is I think the scariest so far. The cloaked man is able to spread disease and destruction wherever he goes from syphilis to cholera and far worse. I was shocked when the true identity was revealed. Kate has her work cut out for her when it comes to defeating this baddie.
- I am loving watching Kate settle in and finally make a few friends. I have enjoyed watching her friendship form with Andrea. I think those two are dynamite together. I can't wait for more of this dynamic duo.
- With each book, the humor seems to notch up to another level. I adore the snark and witty lines. You can't read one of these books without snickering.
- The romance continues to be one of antagonism and banter. This time around, Kate and Curran are not speaking after the disastrous naked dinner. Thanks to their stubbornness, they are unable to talk it out and see it was a trial of errors. Instead they continue to be miserable and butt heads. I was ready to bang my head against the wall, until the moment when it changed. It was well worth the wait. I absolutely love this romance. It is awesome.
- The ending as with all books in the series, culminates with a huge and deadly confrontation. I was on the edge of my seat as it all played out. If you love thrilling action and fierce fight scenes, you will love the end of this one. Then after the dust settles, Kate still has a couple of big hurdles to overcome. I was so impressed with how she handled the pack and everything that was thrown at her. Kate Daniels rocks!
- I am continuing to read this series via audiobooks. Renee Raudman is fantastic. I don't think I could read the books because to me, Renee is Kate. She does a terrific job with this series, and I highly recommend the audio versions.
And The Not So Much:
- This is a series that you have to pay attention to as there is plenty going on in each and every book. There is always a new villain and problem with each book as well as more information regarding the overall story. I am glad that I am reading these back to back. This is a series that you have to give your full attention to, but that usually isn't an issue because they are awesome.
- A crocodile shapeshifter comes in and makes a dramatic appearance at a big moment. Then the crocodile disappears. I was wondering what happened to her, and I am sure her story isn't done yet.
- As much as I love the romance, I admit, I did get a tiny bit frustrated with it this time around. Talk about two stubborn people. I felt like it was going over old territory and that the obstacles this time were completely due to miscommunication and unwillingness to talk it out. It was agonizing until it worked out.
Magic Bleeds was the best book in the series so far. This one notches up the danger and action even further as it reveals more of the big picture. Luckily, Kate continues to grow and fight preparing herself for what is ahead. The romance charters new sizzling hot territory after some big stumbles. It all drives to a thrilling finale that will leave you hungering for more. If you are like me and have put off this series for far too long, get after it. You won't regret it.
I borrowed a copy of this book from the library. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this review.