With twelve hellhounds after her, pregnant Charley Davidson takes refuge at the only place she thinks they can’t get to her: the grounds of an abandoned convent. But after months of being cooped up there, Charley is ready to pop. Both metaphorically and literally since she is now roughly the size of a beached whale. Fortunately, a new case has captured her attention, one that involves a murder on the very grounds the team has taken shelter upon. A decades-old murder of the newly-vowed nun she keeps seeing in the shadows is almost enough to pull her out of her doldrums.
Charley's been forbidden to step foot off the sacred grounds. While the angry hellhounds can’t traverse the consecrated soil, they can lurk just beyond its borders. They have the entire team on edge, especially Reyes. And if Charley didn’t know better, she would swear Reyes is getting sick. He grows hotter with every moment that passes, his heat scorching across her skin every time he’s near, but naturally he swears he’s fine.
While the team searches for clues on the Twelve, Charley just wants answers and is powerless to get them. But the mass of friends they’ve accrued helps. They convince her even more that everyone in her recent life has somehow been drawn to her, as though they were a part of a bigger picture all along. But the good feelings don’t last for long because Charley is about to get the surprise of her crazy, mixed-up, supernatural life…. Audible Audio
Published May 19th 2015
Four and a half stars: A game changer that will leave you clamoring for more.
For the last eight months, Charley and Reyes have been cooped up in an abandoned convent, anxiously awaiting the arrival of their daughter, affectionately dubbed "Beep". They were forced onto holy grounds in order to escape the hellhounds who are hell bent on killing Charley, Reyes and Beep. Even though she is cooped up, Charley still manages to find a way to get into trouble while attempting to solve ghostly mysteries. This time around, she is looking for answers regarding her father, a murdered nun, and a kidnapped girl before time runs out, all while being very pregnant. Not to mention, she is also helping out with a wedding. The question is what will happen to Charley once Beep arrives?
What I Liked:
- Eighth Grave is a game changing book. I thought this was one of the best installments to date. It is packed full of startling developments that will alter the course of the series as well as plenty of long awaited answers. You can also expect lots of humor and Charley Davidson antics along with a wedding, birth and shocking finale that will leave you screaming for the next book. Why must I wait until 2016?
- There is so much going on in this book, and I loved that there was never a dull moment. It starts out fast and furious with a wedding. I was a bit surprised by the wedding, but thrilled none the less. So much happens that it is hard to explain. If you are a long time fan of the series, you will be thrilled to know that you get many of the answers you have long awaited. I loved that I had a better understanding of Charley and her powers as well as Reyes and his father's ultimate plan. At last, I even learned Mr. Wong's secrets. I always knew I loved that guy. This one is packed full of stunning twists and developments that will change Charley and the path of the series from here on out. This is the game changer, an must read for all Charley Davidson fans.
- The secondary characters really shine in this book. I enjoyed the big focus on the relationships that Charley has formed over the last eight books. All the characters that made a big impact on Charley are here. I was especially delighted by the return of a couple of characters. There is so much love and growth with many of the important relationships in Charley's life. I really liked the focus on friends and family in this book.
- Ms. Jones knows how to hook a reader, and she once again pulls it off brilliantly with this book. She delivers many of the answers to long awaited questions, and then she pulls the rug right out from under you with some shocking revelations. I don't know how things will play out from here, but I am sure it will be brilliant. The last chapters were stunning. You have to read this.
- I have both read and listened to books in this series, and I am sold on the audiobooks. The wonderfully talented Lorelei King narrates the audiobooks, and I think she is brilliant. Ms. King absolutely brings Charley to life, and I enjoy the series so much more when I listen to it vs. reading. If you haven't yet tried something narrated by Lorelei King, do so. She is fantastic. I also loved that at the end of the audiobook, there was a brief interview between Lorelei King and Darynda Jones. Definitely worth listening to.
And The Not So Much:
- Without giving too much away, I was a bit sad with the way things played out between Charley and her stepmom, Denise. I was liking the direction that things were taking, and then to have it all stamped out, was a bit crushing.
- I thought both the secondary mysteries, the kidnapped girl and the murdered nun felt a bit like throwaway storylines. I liked them both, but they weren't a big focus, and once the answers were found, they were forgotten. I was expecting a bit more resolution with both subplots.
- I loved the wedding, and I was honestly a bit surprised that it was already happening considering how slow the romance was. I was left wanting more. What about the honeymoon and the issues surrounding it?
Eight Grave After Dark was for me one of the best books to date in the ever popular Charley Davidson Series. This is the book that changes everything as there are some stunning developments, lots of answers and new startling questions. If you are a long time fan of the series, this is a must read. I am extremely anxious for the ninth book which has been pushed to release in 2016. I can't wait to see how things will fare for our favorite characters. Write faster, Darynda Jones. In the meantime, if you haven't read this series or you have fallen behind, now is the time to catch up. Grab the audio versions and settle in!
I purchased an audiobook copy. All opinions are my own, and I was not compensated for this review.