In the tradition of Alice Hoffman’s Practical Magic, one girl chooses to change her fortune and her fate by falling in love.
Love is real in the town of Grimbaud, and Fallon Dupree has dreamed of attending high school there for years.
After all, generations of Duprees have successfully followed the (100% accurate!) love fortunes from Zita’s famous Love Charms Shop to happily marry their high school sweethearts. It’s a tradition.
So she is both stunned and devastated when her fortune states that she will NEVER find love.
Fortunately, Fallon isn’t the only student with a terrible love fortune, and a rebellion is brewing.
Fallon is determined to take control of her own fate—even if it means working with a notorious heartbreaker like Sebastian.
Will Fallon and Sebastian be able to overthrow Zita’s tyranny and fall in love?
Paperback, 368 pages
Published May 12th 2015 by Swoon Reads
Four stars: A cute, magical romance set in a charming town.
Fallon is eager to start her first year of high school in the magical town of Grimbaud. Fallon is the latest in a long line of Duprees to attend Grimbaud High School. Each member of her family has also received a completely accurate love fortune courtesy of Zita's Love Charms Shop. Fallon and her friends anxiously wait in line to receive their love fortune. Fallon's hopes are dashed when her love fortune predicts that she will never find love. How can Fallon go forward knowing she is doomed when it comes to love?
What I Liked:
- Love Fortunes and Other Disasters was a sweet, charming, whimsical read set in a magical town. I enjoyed this cute little read, and I especially liked the romance, the magic and the determination of Fallon and Sebastian to avoid their dismal love fates. If you like a books set in a cute and cozy town, with romance and magic, pick this one up.
- I appreciated the romance in this one. It is a romance without all the ridiculousness we find so often in YA. There are, in fact, three romances. The main romance centers around Sebastian and Fallon, two young teens who have received disheartening love fortunes. Instead of sitting back and accepting their fates, they decide to fight back against the one who is responsible for their fortunes. This is a romance that starts out antagonistic and moves into a hesitant friendship before blossoming into something more. It was lovely to watch it unfold. The two secondary romances follow Fallon's two best friends. One centers around a young man who has been desperately in love with another boy since he was ten years old, but he has been unable to tell him how he feels. The third romance is a romance that features a couple who is in love, but one of the participants isn't being true to herself or her partner, as she refuses to let him see her true self. I loved the different romances, the messages and how they all played out. All three romances are without love triangles and unnecessary drama and angst. Sweet and simple for the most part, but they all have some hurdles to overcome.
- I enjoyed the cute and cozy town of Grimbaud. It is filled with magical shops that sell charms and all kinds of delightful things. At the center of town is Zita's Love Charms Shop, the shop responsible for all things related to love and fortunes. It is an interesting and magical town, perfect for those who love a bit of magic.
- The story revolves around a group of students who want to fight their love fortunes. Instead of sitting back and accepting their miserable fortunes, they choose to look for a way to escape their fate. I liked seeing the group come together, and I liked how they used magic and teamwork to change their fortune.
- All in all, Love Fortunes and Other Disasters is a charming read. It is full of whimsy and magic as well as cute romances and working together to fight fate. This is a perfect read for all ages, and I think it would be a lovely read for Valentine's Day or anytime you want something sweet and light.
And The Not So Much:
- I never completely understood all the details between Love and Zita, and how Zita was able to tell all the fortunes. That part of the story was a bit lacking.
- I thought the reasons for the twins participating in the rebellion were weak. There had to be something more driving them to change the fortunes of other just than because they wanted to. Did someone in their family receive a dismal fortune?
- I never understood what the deal was with all the lace shops. They keep coming up, and I though they would somehow tie into the bigger picture, but they never do.
- This is a book where you have to suspend your realistic expectations. It is a fantasy book with magic and love fortunes and all that. Just go in expecting light and fluffy and magic and have fun.
Love Fortunes and Other Disasters was a sweet and charming read. This is a perfect read for those of you who want a book where love conquers all. If you like magic and romance, don't miss this fun little read. This is a book appropriate for all ages, and I think it would be perfect for Valentine's Day.
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this review.