A knight in tarnished armor is still a knight.
When you’re a defense attorney in Washington, DC, you see firsthand how hard life can be, and that sometimes the only way to survive is to be harder. I, Jake Becker, have a reputation for being cold, callous, and intimidating—and that suits me just fine. In fact, it’s necessary when I’m breaking down a witness on the stand.
Complications don’t work for me—I’m a “need-to-know” type of man. If you’re my client, tell me the basic facts. If you’re my date, stick to what will turn you on. I’m not a therapist or Prince Charming—and I don’t pretend to be.
Then Chelsea McQuaid and her six orphaned nieces and nephews came along and complicated the ever-loving hell out of my life. Now I'm going to Mommy & Me classes, One Direction concerts, the emergency room, and arguing cases in the principal's office.
Chelsea’s too sweet, too innocent, and too gorgeous for her own good. She tries to be tough, but she’s not. She needs someone to help her, defend her…and the kids.
And that — that, I know how to do.Paperback, 272 pages
Four and a half stars: A delightful romance with six adorable kids who will steal your heart.
Jake is a driven and dedicated lawyer. What makes him successful is that his life is free of distractions. Jake doesn't have time for girlfriends and commitments. He is all about his job and one night stands. When Jake learns he might have an STD, he decides it might be better if he actually tried to get to know a girl before sleeping with her. What he doesn't expect is to cross paths with a young, twenty six year old, Chelsea, who is sexy and sweet. Chelsea has her hands full with six busy and active kids. When her brother and his wife were killed in an accident, Chelsea dropped everything to raise the six kids, but she might just be in over her head. What will happen when Jake and Chelsea take on six kids?
What I Liked:
- Everyone has been telling me I needed to try one of Ms. Chase's books, so when I saw the rave reviews coming in for Sustained, I dropped everything and took a chance, and I am glad I did. Sustained was a cute, funny and sweet romance that stole my heart. This was a book I couldn't put down. Loved the characters, the kids and the romance. I can say that I will certainly be reading more of Ms. Chases' books in the future.
- What made this read for me was the unforgettable characters. Let's start with Jake. At twenty nine, he is a successful and dedicated lawyer, who makes no apologies for his wham, bam, thank you ma’am, sexual behavior. He is very much a guy who thinks about sex constantly. Yet, underneath the tough exterior is a gentler side that he is afraid of showing. Granted, he makes some bone headed moves and there are times when I wanted to punch him, but thankfully, he grows up and in the end he won me over. I especially loved how he took to the kids, and became a role model to Rory. I also appreciated that he came across as a true blue male. Not once did I get the impression I was reading a male narrative written by a woman. Chelsea is sweet and kind, and in way over her head with six kids. I had to hand it to her, she accepts her responsibilities and works her tail off. I loved her big heart and altruistic nature. Finally, add in six adorable kids whose names I kept getting mixed up because they all started with R. Needless to say, they get into lots of trouble, but that makes them all the more endearing. Loved the characters in this one.
- I loved the humor in this one. There were so many lines that made me laugh, especially when it came to Jake trying to tackle the kids. So much fun!
- The romance is a slow burner. Yes, it starts out with Jake completely lusting after Chelsea, but he is a man. I appreciated how it took its time to develop into a friendship nice and slow before moving into the sizzling scenes. No insta love or love triangles. There was a stumble, but thankfully, they worked through it rather quickly, and it wasn't a case of too much unnecessary drama. All in all, a nice, satisfying romance with plenty of heat and humor.
- I especially enjoyed watching Jake develop a relationship with the kids. It all starts out when Jake catches one of the kids pick pocketing. Instead of being a jerk, Jake actually takes the time to reach out the kid, since someone did the same for him during his troubled youth. What follows is antics and hilarity as Jake gets to know all six kids. Definitely sweet and heart warming. For those of you who aren't the biggest fans of kids in your novels because they come off as annoying, the kids in this one are genuinely likable and realistic.
- I loved that this was a stand alone, companion novel that I jumped right into without having read any of the other books in the series. This is a complete story, no cliffhangers or nagging questions. If you want to try Ms. Chase, definitely consider this one.
And The Not So Much:
- This is a minor niggle point, but I had a hard time keeping all the kids straight with their names that started with R. I can only imagine actually having six kids with R names, you would always be shouting out the wrong name.
- I loved the romance right up until Jake decides to act like a big bone head. Thankfully, Chelsea handles everything like a grown up, big props to her. Still it was a weak moment on his part that made me like him a tiny bit less.
- I also wasn't a fan of Jake's drunk driving/ show up drunk scene. He once again lost points for stupidity.
Sustained was a terrific romance with plenty of laughs and mayhem as a young lawyer unexpectedly finds himself becoming a role to six orphaned children. I thought the romance was well done, and the characters were fantastically written, genuine and likable. This was a read I picked up and couldn't put down. If you want a fun romance with lots of humor, don't hesitate, grab this one immediately.
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this review.