New York Times bestseller Harlan Coben delivers his next impossible-to-put-down thriller.
In the course of eight consecutive #1 New York Times bestsellers, millions of readers have discovered Harlan Coben’s page-turning thrillers, filled with his trademark edge-of-your-seat suspense and gut-wrenching emotion.
In Fool Me Once, Coben once again outdoes himself.
Former special ops pilot Maya, home from the war, sees an unthinkable image captured by her nanny cam while she is at work: her two-year-old daughter playing with Maya’s husband, Joe—who had been brutally murdered two weeks earlier.
The provocative question at the heart of the mystery: Can you believe everything you see with your own eyes, even when you desperately want to?
To find the answer, Maya must finally come to terms with deep secrets and deceit in her own past before she can face the unbelievable truth about her husband—and herself.
Hardcover, 400 pages
Published: March 22nd 2016 by Dutton
Four and a half stars: A suspenseful thriller with a shocking ending that you won't see coming.
Maya wakes screaming again. Every night, she is haunted by the shootout that she survived while on duty overseas. She thought things would get better once she returned home, but she was wrong. Maya returns home when her sister is murdered in a supposed home invasion, and then a few short months later, Maya's husband, Joe, is viciously attacked and murdered in the park by two masked assailants. Now Maya is a single mother, trying to put the pieces together. Then she sees something on her nanny cam that shouldn't be there. Her dead husband playing with their two year old daughter. Maya is forced to start digging to find the truth. Did Joe really die or are her eyes deceiving her?
What I Liked:
- Wow! What a twisty thriller Fool Me Once is. This is a book that grabs a hold of you, and doesn't let up. The further Maya digs, the more deadly secrets she uncovers, all leading up to a thrilling climax and an absolutely stunning finale. The final twist was a jaw dropper, and I can honestly tell you, that you won't see it coming. If you like your thrillers to be full of surprises and to conclude with a shocking finale, this is the one to read. I couldn't put it down.
- Maya, the heroine is a fascinating character. She is former military, thus she is tough as nails and smart. I loved how strong and bold she was, and how she was always one step of the police. Every time, they started pointing fingers at her or jerking her around, she was quick to put them in their place by presenting the solid facts. She also has her flaws and her weaknesses, and that made her all the more realistic. She is character that is tough as nails and one who hides her emotions. I was most impressed with her.
- The mystery is outstanding. At first, it appears to be a murder mystery, but then it becomes so much more. I loved all the startling reveals. The further Maya plunged into the case, the more interesting it became. There are so many interesting threads woven into this one, and I loved seeing how they all came together. I was so surprised at the final outcome. This is a masterfully written thriller, steeping with suspense, and one that kept me guessing right up to the end. If you love a good, tight thriller, this is one you have to read.
- The ending! What can I say? It was a complete jaw dropper. Shocking to say the least. I didn't see it coming. I loved that I was so caught off guard by that final dramatic scene. I loved it.
And The Not So Much:
- The one thing that didn't make complete sense to me was the whole story line involving the bribed former Coast Guard officer, turned private detective character. I wasn't exactly sure why he was being bribed. What was there to hide? I was left wondering what the detective knew that the villain wanted kept hidden.
- I struggled a bit with the whole story line involving Maya and her actions while on active duty over seas. She is painted as a villain for what she did, but I didn't see it that way. I think she did the right thing even though there was a horrible cost. I would make the same decision in her shoes.
- Even though there is a nice Epilogue down the line that catches you up to date, I was left wondering what happened to the Burkett family. There is no further mention of them in that final scene. Not a big deal, but I was curious.
Fool Me Once was a read that renewed my interest in thrillers. This book was a page turner with its gripping suspense and its twists and turns. I was shocked several times, and completely taken surprised by the finale. This is a must read book for anyone who is a fan of thrillers. I highly recommend reading this one. I will certainly be checking out other books by Mr. Coben.
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own, and I was not compensated for this review.