Mercenary Kate Daniels knows all too well that magic in post-Shift Atlanta is a dangerous business. But nothing she’s faced could have prepared her for this…
Kate and the former Beast Lord Curran Lennart are finally making their relationship official. But there are some steep obstacles standing in the way of their walk to the altar…
Kate’s father, Roland, has kidnapped the demigod Saiman and is slowly bleeding him dry in his never-ending bid for power. A Witch Oracle has predicted that if Kate marries the man she loves, Atlanta will burn and she will lose him forever. And the only person Kate can ask for help is long dead.
The odds are impossible. The future is grim. But Kate Daniels has never been one to play by the rules…
Audible Audio, 14 pages
Published October 4th 2016 by Brilliance Audio
Five stars: Another heart stopping adventure full of danger, magic and mayhem, all culminating to a climax and ending that will leave your dying for more.
Kate is finally making plans for her wedding, well sort of. Kate's idea of a wedding is to just show up and get married and not worry about dresses, flowers, guest lists, etc. Unfortunately, before she can even begin to consider the details, she receives a summons from the Witch Oracle. Kate doesn't want to go because the witches don't usually have good news for her, and indeed, they have bad news big time. The Oracle predicts that if Kate marries Curran he will die and Atlanta will burn, and if she doesn't marry him, the future is even more devastating. Even though the Witch Oracle is hardly ever wrong, Kate refuses to accept this future. With the odds stacked against her and a terrifying fate awaiting her if she fails, Kate sets out to do the impossible: save her mate, her future and her city. Will Kate succeed?
What I Loved:
- What on earth are we going to do when the Kate Daniels series concludes in 2017? I can't get enough of this series. It has everything I love and crave in an outstanding book: excellent characters, riveting story lines, action, danger, magic, paranormal creatures of all sorts, terrifying battles, humor and romance. What more could you ask for? If you haven't started this series, what are you waiting for? This is one of the best series out there. Period.
- For those of you continuing to read this review instead of grabbing the book, I will keep it short. This one features a terrifying fate for Kate that she refuses to accept. In true Kate Daniels style, she digs deep, conquers horrible creatures and tries to defy the odds. You have to admire her guts and her grit. She is one kick butt, outstanding heroine.
- I loved seeing all of Kate's rag tag rescues fall into place and serve their purpose. I was pleased to finally learn the truth about Christopher. Kate has collected quite the band of characters, who come to her aid. Loved this.
- Roland continues to be such a conundrum. He is a character I want to completely hate, but then he shows a human side and I can't help but to like him. I love his complexity and his cunning, and that I never know what he is going to do next.
- As always, the humor in these books is terrific. I like that there are plenty of comedic asides that help lighten it up. I especially enjoyed all the wedding preparations. Let's just say, Kate calls upon the most unexpected wedding planner.
- Unexpected characters return and end up being allies. I loved who ended up coming to help Kate. I wish I could say more, but I can't. I did love the character in her knife. Her sarcasm and wit was terrific.
- This one delivers plenty of heart stopping action. It is fraught with dangerous battles and a climatic, epic battle that will have you on the edge of your seat. I think this one had the best battle to date, and that is saying a lot.
- The ending is wonderful after all the dust settles. I enjoyed the small bit of happy ever after, yet I know that there is more conflict on the way for Kate. I can't wait for the finale.
- The audiobooks for this series are narrated by the fantastic Renee Raudman. I can't say enough godo things about Renee. She is Kate Daniels, and I love her narration. I can't read the books because I need Renee to narrate for me. Try these on audio.
And The Not So Much:
- There is a lot going on in this one, and many characters return from earlier books in the series. I haven't read all of the novellas, so I was a bit lost when Teddy showed up. I recommend going back and reading the novellas before heading into this one.
- There are many hints that a spin off series is in the works featuring Julie and Derek, and I was a bit perplexed when one of the big battle scenes featuring Derek, Julie and Curran was left out of the book. What really happened in Roland's castle? I was so disappointed it was left out, but then I thought maybe they did it on purpose and it will be revisited. There seems to be some important things that happened during that mission.
- I was frustrated with Kate for continuing to hide things from Curran, I thought they were beyond that.
Magic Binds is one of the best books in the series, if not the best book to date. I loved this book. It had all the action, danger and romance that I craved. If you are a fan of the series, this one is sure to please, and if you haven't started this series, please do it.