From award-winning author, Ilona Andrews, an original novella, set in the New York Times #1 bestselling Kate Daniels World and featuring fan-favorites, Derek, and Curran and Kate’s very independent ward, Julie.
Scarred, solitary Derek Gaunt has separated from his Pack, and is truly a lone wolf. With no family he answers to no one; but is fiercely loyal to a chosen few. So, when several of those close to him are murdered, he’ll stop at nothing to hunt their killer through the magic-drenched streets of Atlanta.
Never one to be left on the sidelines, equally determined—some might say stubborn—Julie Lennart-Olsen soon joins in his pursuit; and what began as revenge turns into a race to save the city. Their search pits them against powers they never imagined and magic so old, it predates history. It may cost Derek his life, but there are things for which even he would risk everything.
ebook, 64 pages
Published December 8th 2015 by NYLA
Four stars: A must read for any Kate Daniels fan. This novella packs a punch, while it gives insight into two of our favorite secondary character's, and hopefully it is setting up for a spin off series.
Derek catches a scent of blood on the breeze, spurring him into action. He finds three shapeshifters scoping out the home of some of his friends. He is horrified to learn that the entire family has been murdered. Derek confronts the shapeshifters and learns they are not the culprits. Just when he is set to leave, a lone figure comes riding up on a horse. It is Julie dressed in shorts and a t shirt, insisting on accompanying him. The two quickly learn that there is someone dark and deadly behind the murders, who will stop at nothing to retrieve some type of magical rock. The pair decides to track him down and halt him before he can harm others. The problem is the two youngsters might be in over their heads. Can Julie and Derek catch the murderer?
What I Liked:
- With the end of the beloved Kate Daniels Series soon drawing to a close, many readers are left wondering what will they will do for their next fix. Fear not, with this short novella, the Andrews team sets up what hopefully will be the beginning of a fantastic new spin off series featuring Julie and Derek. If you are a fan, you must read this.
- Usually, I am not the biggest fan of novellas, mostly because I always want more, and I seldom feel that there is enough time for development due to the shortened length. That is not the case with Magic Stars. Even though this novella is short, it packs a punch. Prepare for non stop action with plenty of thrilling battle scenes including one in a murky marsh with man eating type mermaids. Shivers......I got all that I craved: action, danger, adventure, a hint of romance and a foundation for a new series.
- I have long enjoyed both Julie and Derek, and I have liked watching them grow. In this story, you get inside Boy Wonder's head, and it was interesting to see how tortured Derek is with his wolf side, and how much he struggles. I also liked seeing how much Julie has grown and what she has been up to on the sly. She is wielding some powerful magic and hanging out with no other than Roland. Makes me wonder how much trouble these two can get into down the road.
- There have been hints of a possible romance between Derek and Julie for awhile, and there are more signs that a romance is in the works. I love the way these two work together, the way they protect one another, and I am most excited to see a possible romance. More please.
- Even though this novella is under a hundred pages, you get a full story. No cliffhangers or unanswered questions.
And The Not So Much:
- My one complaint is that I wanted more. I was just getting invested in the story when it ended. Yes, I got a complete story, but I craved more.
- As of yet, there is no evidence when this series will continue. I have my fingers crossed that this is indeed the beginning of a spin off series. All signs point to yes.
Magic Stars is a must read novella for any fan of the Kate Daniels series. This short novella delivers all that you love from this series: danger, action, battle scenes, magic and a hint of romance. I am hoping that this indeed the beginning of a new spin off series.
I borrowed a copy of this book from the library. All opinions are my own, and I was not compensated for this review.