Series narrator Lorelei King returns to narrate Eleventh Grave in Moonlight, the latest installment of Darynda Jones New York Times bestselling paranormal series.
My entire life can be summed up in one sentence: Well, that didn t go as planned. T-Shirt
A typical day in the life of Charley Davidson involves cheating husbands, errant wives, missing people, philandering business owners, and, oh yeah...demons, hell hounds, evil gods, and dead people. Lots and lots of dead people. As a part time Private Investigator and full-time Grim Reaper, Charley has to balance the good, the bad, the undead, and those who want her dead.
Now, Charley is learning to make peace with the fact that she is a goddess with all kinds of power and that her own daughter has been born to save the world from total destruction. But the forces of hell are determined to see Charley banished forever to the darkest corners of another dimension. With the son of Satan himself as her husband and world-rocking lover, will Charley be able to defeat the ultimate evil and find a way to have her happily ever after after all?
Published: January 24th 2017 by Macmillan Audio
Four and a half stars: A series that continues to entertain as it matures.
There is never a dull moment in a day in the life of Charley Davidson, Private Investigator and Grim Reaper. Charley is still coming to terms with her identity, and the fact that her daughter is being raised in seclusion to protect her. Unfortunately, Charley has many enemies, including demons who want to banish her as well as some religious fanatics. Will Charley get control over her powers and conquer or will she falter because she can't find the right T shirt to wear?
What I Liked:
- Sometimes when a series hits the eleventh book, it isn't always a guarantee that the story will still be as good. Luckily, that is not the case with the Charley Davidson series. Charley is growing, slowly but surely, and the series continues to be entertaining, exciting and funny. Never a dull moment with a Charley Davidson book.
- Charley is evolving and maturing, as best as she can. I am happy to see that she is finally accepting her god identity and that she is learning to use her powers. One of my biggest complaints about this series, especially early on, was that Charley was always getting her ass kicked. Thankfully, she is learning to wield her almighty powers, and she is doing some impressive things. I can't wait to see her reach her full potential. However, even though she is growing more powerful, she still maintains that air headed nature, which readers love. I can't help but giggle at some of her hilarious one liners.
- More and more details are coming out as far as the big overall story arc is concerned. It is setting up to be one big bad epic show down between the forces of good and evil.
- Even though I find the big story interesting, I am always drawn to the small cases that incorporate each book. This time around, Charley tangles with a religious fanatic cult, takes on a stalker and she endeavors to save Uncle Bob's soul. I enjoyed watching each and every one of these smaller stories unfold.
- I continue to love this series on audiobook. Lorelei King narrates the audiobooks, and without a doubt, she is one of my all time favorite narrators. Ms. King is Charley Davidson for me. I don't think I would love this series as much if I read it vs. listening to it. If you haven't tried the audiobooks, do it. They are fantastic!
And The Not So Much:
- This has been a growing niggle for me, I am still frustrated with the secrets in Charley and Reyes' relationship. They promised one another that they wouldn't keep secrets, and once again they aren't honest with one another. I wish their relationship would mature.
- This series is becoming notorious for it's brutal cliffhangers, which is frustrating. Once again, the book ends with a nasty cliffhanger. Ugh!
Eleventh Grave is another entertaining and exciting book in a beloved series. I like that Charley is coming to terms with her identity and evolving. However, be warned this one ends with a nasty cliffhanger. Let's hope the next book will be out soon.
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own, and I was not compensated for this review.
Here is a sample of the audiobook:
A huge thanks to the folks over at Macmillan Audio!