The South Channel lighthouse is a crumbling antique at the mouth of the Savannah River, abandoned and forgotten for generations. Local stories still tell of a mysterious woman in white who often stood at the old lighthouse, watching the sailors come into port...even long after she died.
Now the property by the lighthouse is owned by a famous movie star in search of a remote beach getaway on sleepy Tybee Island. Unfortunately, old ghosts haunt her new retreat, stirred up by the construction of a luxurious new mansion. Ellie, Stacey, and their team must remove the ghosts, who grow more dangerous and aggressive every night, threatening the lives of the client and her family and personal staff.
The lighthouse has a dark history, with many ghosts, and mysteries to unravel before Ellie can send them on to the other side.
Published December 28th 2016
Four and a half stars: An excellent ghostly tale with an eerie setting.
Everything seems to be crumbling around Ellie: her relationship, her career and her friendships. Instead of wallowing in despair, Ellie chooses to fight back. She will find and capture the murderous ghost of Anton Clay or die trying. Unfortunately, the new owners of her agency, PSI, refuse to let her hunt Clay, but that doesn't deter Ellie. Luckily, she has a couple of allies on her side. While Ellie stalks Clay, she and the gang are hired to a new case. The haunting is at a place that Ellie is familiar with from her childhood: an old abandoned lighthouse. The property around the lighthouse has been bought and restored by a wealthy star. Will Ellie be able to find out the truth behind the haunting of the lighthouse?
What I Liked:
- Eight books in and the Ellie Jordan Ghost Trapper Series is still going strong, and in fact, getting better with each new installment. I love this series with its eerie settings, terrifying ghosts, entertaining and eclectic characters and plenty of thrills and chills. If you want an excellent ghost series, look no further.
- Mr. Bryan excels at creepy settings. I think the decrepit lighthouse setting was the best to date. I loved the mystery behind the old building, and I was shocked when the startling truth about the haunting came out. The haunting, atmospheric setting was perfect fro the story.
- I always enjoy the history that is incorporated into each story. I know that Mr. Bryan takes his inspiration from real life landmarks, and then crafts his own stories. This time around, the reader is treated to the interesting and somewhat sordid history of the old lighthouse. It was enthralling.
- What I liked the most about this book was that it finalized some troubling story lines. I won't go into detail to avoid spoilers, but I will say, I was so relieved at how things ended for Ellie and Stacey. This book felt like a fresh slate, and I am excited to see where the characters and story will evolve from this point.
- For those of you who hesitate to try a self published book, this is the series you need to read. I love that this books are perfectly edited, and I like that I get several installments per year. Keep them coming Mr. Bryan.
- The ending was neat and nice. There was no cliffhanger, and all the major storylines were settled. I can't wait to see what is next.
And The Not So Much:
- Normally, I feel somewhat sympathetic toward the client who hires Ellie, but not this time. Alyssa is awful, and I couldn't stand her.
- The story features two different hauntings. Ellie in search of Anton Clay, takes on a murderous ghost in an old theater. I was not as invested in this story line, and I found myself wanting go get back to the lighthouse. I will say, the showdown between Ellie and the ghost made that story line worthwhile. I just wish that I had been more drawn to it.
- I am hoping this isn't the end of the Hoff. I was actually growing kind of fond of his character.
The Keeper is one of the best books in the series to date. I loved that creepy setting and the shocking history of the lighthouse. I also appreciated that this book concluded some of the ongoing conflicts in the story, and that it placed the series on a new path. I am a huge fan of this series, and I cannot recommend these books enough. What are you waiting for? Check it out!
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own, and I was not compensated for this review.
Check out the rest of the books in this series: