Fighter. Faker. Student. Spy.
Seventeen-year-old Reagan Elizabeth Hillis is used to changing identities overnight, lying to every friend she’s ever had, and pushing away anyone who gets too close.
Trained in mortal combat and weaponry her entire life, Reagan is expected to follow in her parents’ footsteps and join the ranks of the most powerful top-secret agency in the world, the Black Angels.
Falling in love with the boy next door was never part of the plan. Now Reagan must decide:
Will she use her incredible talents and lead the dangerous life she was born into, or throw it all away to follow her heart and embrace the normal life she’s always wanted?
And does she even have a choice?
Hardcover, 288 pages
Published January 10th 2017 by Swoon Reads
Three stars: An exciting, fast paced read with plenty of action, but it was a bit unrealistic.
For the first time in her life, Reagan feels like she fits in. She likes her school, she has friends, and she is happy despite the fact that she leads a double a life. Reagan's parents are part of an elite, top secrecy agency called the Black Angels. Black Angels are skilled fighters, and are constantly in danger. Reagan has been training to be a Black Angel since she was ten, but now she is having second thoughts as she is beginning to see what a normal life could be like. As Reagan questions her choices, danger comes calling. Reagan is quickly thrust into a deadly situation. Will Reagan choose a life as a Black Angel or follow her heart?
What I Liked:
- This was a fast paced, adrenaline fueled read. I enjoyed the fast pace, the danger, action and excitement. I especially liked the whole secret agent story line. It was refreshing in the YA genre.
- Reagan is an interesting protagonist. At seventeen, she is faced with many big decisions, but hers are far more daunting than the average teenager. Does she choose a life of danger and secrecy or walk away for a chance at a normal life? I liked that she handled everything maturely, and I thought she was tough, brave and determined. I especially liked how Reagan stood up and protected her friend when she was being bullied. She is a strong, fierce female lead.
- The romance was sweet and subtle. I liked that it was without drama and that it was based on a long time friendship. The romance never overtook the plot, it was a simple, light addition to the story that I enjoyed.
- I enjoyed reading about the Black Angels. While they are fictional, it was easy to imagine what life would be like for those who do serve in these top secret, elite forces. It would be a tough, dangerous and turbulent life style. This was definitely a unique and interesting YA book.
- I appreciated that Reagan's parents played an important part in the story. Their relationship had its ups and downs, and it wasn't perfect at all, but it felt real. I liked the strong focus on family and friends.
And The Not So Much:
- Cliffhanger! The book ends with a big, fat, rather nasty cliffhanger. Ugh!
- Toward the end, the book started becoming more and more unrealistic. As an adult, I could see how unbelievable certain parts were. A teenager going in and saving the day along with someone who was completely untrained was a bit much. However, a younger reader won't be bothered by this.
- The first half of the book is a bit slow, and it takes a long time before it takes off. The second half in comparison is a whirlwind.
You Don't Know My Name is an entertaining, exciting and thrilling book with lots of action and danger that will appeal to younger readers. I liked the uniqueness of the story, and I appreciated the focus on family and friends. I did have issues with the cliffhanger and the unrealistic aspects at the end. Still if you want something fast and different, try this.
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own, and I was not compensated for this review.
I have up for grabs today a paperback copy of You Don't Know My Name by Kristen Orlando. This giveaway is open to U.S. residents only.
To enter read the Contest Policies and fill out the Rafflecopter. Good Luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway