Grim Reaper Charley Davidson is back in the twelfth installment of Darynda Jones’ New York Times bestselling paranormal series. Ever since Reyes escaped from a hell dimension in which Charley accidentally trapped him, the son of Satan has been brimstone-bent on destroying the world his heavenly Brother created. His volatile tendencies have put Charley in a bit of a pickle. But that’s not the only briny vegetable on her plate. While trying to domesticate the feral being that used to be her husband, she also has to deal with her everyday life of annoying all manner of beings—some corporeal, some not so much—as she struggles to right the wrongs of society. Only this time she’s not uncovering a murder. This time she’s covering one up. Add to that her new occupation of keeping a startup PI venture—the indomitable mystery-solving team of Amber Kowalski and Quentin Rutherford—out of trouble and dealing with the Vatican’s inquiries into her beloved daughter, and Charley is on the brink of throwing in the towel and becoming a professional shopper. Or possibly a live mannequin. But when someone starts attacking humans who are sensitive to the supernatural world, Charley knows it’s time to let loose her razor sharp claws. Then again, her number one suspect is the dark entity she’s loved for centuries. So the question becomes, can she tame the unruly beast before it destroys everything she’s worked so hard to protect?
Published October 31st 2017 by Macmillan Audio
Five Stars: A spectacular edition to a favorite series. Loved this one!
Charley has her hands full again. She must hurry and figure out a way to prevent the now feral Reyes from destroying the world while solving a couple of cases, including why people are being attacked by a demonic force, figure out how to cover up a possible murder, help Amber start up an investigation firm, and fix the fate of the world. Just another day in the life of grim reaper extraordinaire: Charley Davidson. The question is can she juggle it all and save the day?
What I Liked:
- What am I going to do when this series ends? Twelfth Grave is the next to the last installment, and it doesn’t disappoint. This one is hilarious, exciting, revealing and just plain awesome. If you still haven’t tried this series, what is wrong with you?
- I went into this one with some trepidation as I found Eleventh Grave to be a bit dark, and the finale was a shocker. I was pleasantly surprised that in spite of the dire situation with Reyes, the book was full of humor. It had me chuckling on numerous occasions, and I was pleased that this one was on the lighter side.
- Garret Swopes is one of my favorite characters, and I was thrilled that we got a heaping dose of Garret in this one. Some of the scenes with Garret, Charley and Osh are downright hilarious. I couldn’t get enough!
- The humor is terrific in this book. I love that the Charley Davidson series continues to make me laugh, and I was pleased that this one was chock full of Charley’s ditzy antics. Love it.
- This one continues to develop the major story arc with Charley, Reyes and Beep saving the fate of the world. I am enjoying seeing it all come together, and I can only imagine what the final book will entail. There were some major reveals in this one, and some shocking developments that I loved.
- The audiobook narrated by Lorelei King was as usual amazing. I can only listen to this series now because Lorelei has completely spoiled me. You must listen to these books!
And The Not So Much:
- The ending was another shocker. Just when the dust was settling and all seemed right, there is a major event that left me speechless. Why must Darynda be so cruel and end her books with major cliffhangers? Still, I won’t complain too much because I love this series so darn much.
- I was disappointed that one of the cases Charley was following was left undone. Usually the investigations Charley works on are completed, but that wasn’t the case in this one.
Twelfth Grave is another outstanding edition to a favorite series. Ms. Jones proves again and again that she knows how to spin one amazing story. I love the characters, the humor, the story lines and everything about this series. It continues to impress and amaze me even after twelve books, which speaks volumes of a series. If you want a fabulous series, look no further!
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own, and I was not compensated for this review.