When a psychic tells spunky, superstitious Kelly Byrne that she’s already met her true love, she becomes obsessed with the idea of tracking him down before Christmas. Kelly immediately writes up an “Ex List” and starts contacting old boyfriends to figure out which one is the one. When her college sweetheart rolls into town, Kelly convinces herself that they’re meant to be. The trouble is, sparks are flying with someone she’s never given a chance: her best friend, Mark. Mark Blakely has watched the guys on Kelly’s list break her heart, and he’s not looking forward to watching them do it all over again. Mark’s always been there for her, but the timing’s never worked out for their relationship to be something more. Now, just as Mark is ready to move on, the sexual tension between them is suddenly off the charts. With Christmas morning around the corner, he just hopes Kelly will wake up and realize that everything she wants has been right in front of her all along.
ebook, 218 pages
Published November 7th 2017 by Loveswept
Four and a half stars: An adorable, feel good book for the holidays. If you want a delightful holiday romance, this is the one to read.
Kelly is ready for Christmas break, even if she will be spending it alone since she is sending her parents on an Alaskan cruise. As Kelly heads home for the holidays, she encounters a psychic in the train station. This woman tells Kelly that she’s already met her true love, and that she will find him for Christmas. Superstitious and spunky Kelly is determined to find her true love, so she starts tracking down all of her exes in hopes of finding the one in time for the holidays. She even drags her long time best friend, Mark, into her zany plan. As Kelly reconnects with her exes and ticks them off her list, frustration and tension mount. Is Kelly missing what has been right in front of her all along?
What I Liked:
- An Ex for Christmas was a delightful holiday read with an adorable romance that will leave you with a big goofy grin. Cuddle up with a hot drink, and prepare for piles of holiday cheer and romance. This is the perfect book for the holidays.
- The romance is fantastic. I am going to be vague as I don’t want to spoil it. I will say that this features one of my all time favorite romantic tropes. It is absolutely delicious to watch it unfold. I loved every moment of it.
- Kelly is quite the character. She is bubbly, funny, superstitious and a bit dense. However, I couldn’t help loving her upbeat, spunky personality and her affinity for her Magic Eight Ball. She is clueless sometimes, but she made me laugh. I also loved her enthusiasm for the holidays. She is a ray of sunshine.
- The handsome and brooding Mark is so delightful. He is the consummate best friend. Always there for Kelly, through thick and thin. He gets her quirks, and he loves her all the same. I adored Mark. I want a best friend like Mark.
- If you want loads of holiday cheer, this book has it. I loved the cozy, upbeat cheery feel to this book. It is the best book of the holiday season! It has the songs, the decorations, the movie, snow and romance. What more could you ask for?
- Even though this is listed as the fifth book in the series, it is a stand alone story so you can jump in and read it now without having to read the other books!
- The ending is perfect. I loved how it ended up, especially the little gotcha moment at the end. Well played, Mark!
And The Not So Much:
- I loved that I finally got a snippet from Mark’s point of view at the end. This left me wanting more from Mark’s perspective. I wish that Mark’s voice had been included throughout.
- Even though Kelly is adorable and clueless, I have to admit she frustrated me toward the end. Why couldn’t she just grab a hold of a what she had?
- There is a scene toward the end where someone conveniently shows up out of the blue. I thought this was too contrived, and could have done without it.
An Ex for Christmas will go down as my favorite holiday read of the season. I loved the quirky characters, the adorable romance and all the holiday cheer in this one. I couldn’t put this one down. If you are on the hunt for a delightful holiday romance, look no further, this is the one to grab. I loved it!
I borrowed a copy of this book from the library. All opinions are my own, and I was not compensated for this review.