I am so excited to have Jennifer Estep back on the blog. Jennifer is an absolute pleasure to work with and I love her books, win win! If you haven't read anything by Jennifer yet, I suggest you do so immediately. Her Mythos Academy Series is a guilty pleasure of mine, and it isn't often that I am current on a series, but I am with this one! Jennifer was kind enough to stop by today for an interview and she is bringing a gift! First, let me tell you a bit about the fabulous Ms. Estep:
Here is Jennifer's bio:
Jennifer Estep is a New York Timesbestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. Jennifer writes the Mythos Academy young adult urban fantasy series for Kensington. The books focus on Gwen Frost, a 17-year-old Gypsy girl who has the gift of psychometry, or the ability to know an object’s history just by touching it. After a serious freak-out with her magic, Gwen is shipped off to Mythos Academy, a school for the descendants of ancient warriors like Spartans, Valkyries, Amazons, and more.Books in the series are Touch of Frost, Kiss of Frost, and Dark Frost. Crimson Frost, the fourth book, is set to be published on Dec. 24, 2012. Midnight Frost, the fifth book, releases in August 2013. Jennifer also writes the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series for Pocket, and she is the author of the Bigtime superhero paranormal romance series. Visit Jennifer on her website,blog, Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads.
And here is my interview with Jennifer:
I liked that you included some Norse mythology in Midnight Frost, do plan on including more of the different types of mythologies in future installments?
JE: Thanks. I appreciate that. I like Greek and Norse mythology, so I’ll probably continue to focus on those mythologies in future stories/books in the series. But I hope to include some other mythologies as well. It just depends on where the characters and the story take me.
If you could have one of the mythological creatures featured in The Mythos Academy which would you choose?
JE: I would like to have a Fenrir wolf, especially a pup like Nyx.
Can you give me any kind of small hint as to what the deal is with Raven the mysterious old lady?
JE: Well, I can’t really give out spoilers, so all I will say is that there is definitely more to Raven than meets the eye, and that the mystery surrounding her will eventually be addressed in the books.
I enjoyed meeting Rory and Rachel, will they appear again in future books?
JE: Thanks. Glad you enjoyed their characters. Again, I can’t give out spoilers, so all I will say is that there is a chance that readers will see Rory and Rachel again in future stories/books.
If you were a student at Mythos Academy what type would you most likely be: A Valkyrie, Spartan, Amazon, etc.?
JE: I think it would be cool to be a Valkryie like Daphne and be really strong.
If you could spend a day in the life of any one of your characters who would you pick and why?
JE: I would pick Gwen from my Mythos Academy series, just because I think that it would be interesting to have her psychometry power. I think it would be cool to use her power to find out the history and stories behind old family photos and things like that.
If you were going to date one of your leading men, who would you go out with and why?
JE: I would choose Finnegan Lane from my Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series, just because I know that Finn would be a fun date and do his best to make me laugh.
What can we expect next from the busy and talented Jennifer Estep?
JE: Thanks. I appreciate that. MIDNIGHT FROST, the fifth book in my Mythos Academy series, was released on July 30. SPARTAN FROST, an e-novella, is also available. KILLER FROST, the sixth book in the series, will be released in March 2014.
In my Elemental Assassin series, HEART OF VENOM, book nine, will be out on Aug. 27. KISS OF VENOM, an e-novella, is also available. THE SPIDER, the tenth book in the series, will be released on Dec. 24.
Wow! She is a writing machine! Look at all the books releasing. At least you don't have to wait long to get a Jennifer Estep fix! The lovely Jennifer is offering up a chance to win Midnight Frost to one lucky U.S. entrant. To enter please see Contest Policies and then fill out the Rafflecopter. Good Luck! A big thank you to Jennifer for taking time out of her busy schedule to answer my qustions and for providing the giveaway for you all. Thanks, Jennifer. Come back soon!a Rafflecopter giveaway
Here is my review:
Midnight Frost(Mythos Academy #5) by Jennifer Estep
Here we go again … Just when it seems life at Mythos Academy can’t get any more dangerous, the Reapers of Chaos manage to prove me wrong. It was just a typical night at the Library of Antiquities — until a Reaper tried to poison me. The good news is I’m still alive and kicking. The bad news is the Reaper poisoned someone else instead. As Nike’s Champion, everyone expects me to lead the charge against the Reapers, even though I’m still hurting over what happened with Spartan warrior Logan Quinn. I’ve got to get my hands on the antidote fast — otherwise, an innocent person will die. But the only known cure is hidden in some creepy ruins — and the Reapers are sure to be waiting for me there …
Paperback, 400 pages
Published: July 30th 2013 by K-Teen
Source: Publisher in exchange for an honest review
Four stars: Another solid read in an addictive little series.
Gwen awakens from another terrifying nightmare. She can't shake the disturbing images of Logan stabbing her. It doesn't help that the sexy Spartan ran away after his stepmother tried to use him as Loki's vessel. Gwen understands he is hurting but so is she. Trouble comes calling, and Gwen's mind is quickly taken off from Logan as she is now in a race to save Nickedemus' life. Gwen and her friends must travel to Colorado to find an herb to stop the poison. They know it is a Reaper trap but they go anyway not wanting to lose someone else to the Reapers. Can Gwen save the librarian?
What I Liked:
- I thoroughly enjoy the Mythos Academy Series. It is evident because I am staying on top of this series, these days there are very few series that I am current on due to my overwhelming book load. I can't resist a Mythos Academy Book as I know it will have plenty of danger, paranormal creatures, a fiery romance and plenty of adversity. If you are in need of a highly entertaining series that doesn't fall into the same old same old when it come to Young Adult give this one a try.
- I am pleased to see how much Gwen is growing and changing. She is far removed from the shy, unconfident girl who doesn't know a thing about defending herself. These days, she doesn't shy away from a battle and she can handle herself in a fight. I like that she doesn't shrug away from danger and instead chooses to meet it head on. Gwen is becoming capable and confident and I love seeing her transform. I also love that she doesn't hide her feelings from Logan, she confronts him and tells him how it is! You go girl!
- The romance.... I won't go into too much detail on it to avoid spoilers. From the beginning, the romance between Gwen and the sexy Spartan has been about sparks and friction. They can never seem to get it right, and it was apparent going into this one that there was going to be plenty more conflict, and I was uneasy, thinking I don't want to go through all that again. Needless to say, my concerns were wiped away. I finally think the romance is going where I want it to go!
- I loved that this book takes Gwen and the gang on an adventure to Colorado where she visits another Mythos Academy and takes a hike into the Rocky Mountains. I liked the gryphons and meeting the Norse Goddess, and the change of scenery.
- Gwen meets Rory and Rachel, and I liked that she finally meets someone whom she can relate to as she has experienced some of the same heartache as Gwen, and she learns so more about her past. I am hoping that both Rory and Rachel will make another appearance in future books.
And The Not So Much:
- There is almost a bit too much foreshadowing and hinting with this one so that I wasn't surprised by the developments with the gryphons or when the villain is revealed. I was expecting it all along. Not a big deal, but I just wished that I had been surprised.
- I am still scratching my head wondering what is up with the mysterious old lady Raven. Once again, she makes a brief and puzzling appearance and I am dying to know what her deal is.
- I read the novella Spartan Frost before reading into this one, and I can't see how it tied into this book. The only theme that carries forth is the mention of poisons in Spartan Frost, but it really isn't clear if the chemicals that Logan found were related to the poison used in this one. This is not a big issue, but I was expecting this one to pick up from the cliffhanger ending in Spartan Frost and it doesn't.
Midnight Frost is a quick and entertaining read with everything you love about Mythos Academy. There is lots of action, plenty of danger, paranormal creatures and a great romance. If you are a fan of this series, you will surely enjoy this installment, if you have yet to pick up this series, you need to. It is a fun series that is addictive and fun!
"Just because you love someone doesn't mean they'll never hurt or betray you."
Like victory, mercy could be a great and terrible thing. Giving mercy, accepting it, rejecting it, withholding hit---all of those things had a price someone had to pay."
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this review.